Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SASL LOGIN authentication failure

At this point I think that the domain MAY be a red herring. Only one other domain is authenticating against it to send and they only have 3 users. They have however never complained to me about an issue. The other domains are either forced to send through their ISP.

Since this started last week it has resolved itself into a strange pattern of hit and miss. I upgraded to version 3.1.1 and for a time SASL authentication would work for a bit and then stop working and then start back up. After Then SASL authentication started working for some users and failing for others at the exact same time. For example today it started getting SASL authentication errors at 12:03PM Central Time) while at the exact same time users from the same locale (same IP even as they are PAT behind a firewall) were successfully authenticating.

I am convinced at this point that the problem is likely on their end somewhere. We tried to get them to start sending mail through their local ISP but the ISP only provides POP before SMTP. Not going to work in this case. The ISP is Telepacific.net, I have no idea if they are any good at all.

Sorry for placing the blame on Zimbra. I should have known better.

FWIW we found a problem with SASL today. If you have passwords with & in them auth won't work. We also found a memory leak. These will both be fixed in a 3.1.2 patch coming out soon.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default a few things to look out for..

When SMTP auth works for some users but not others, please check that their password does not contain characters that need XML escaping (fixed in 3.1.2 like KevinH said).

When SMTP auth fails for everyone, can you check if the saslauthd processes are running and if tomcat server is also running?
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Have these problems been fixed in the in the 3.2 beta 2 release?

I've just installed that version on a Fedora Core 5 system. Everything was working except people that had to authenticate couldn't send mail. I finally realized that saslauthd wasn't running. As soon as I started (restarted) that everything was cool.

Two points about this beta:

1) When saslauthd is running "/opt/zimbra/bin/zmsaslauthdctl status" gives me no information at all. There is no response from that command so it doesn't help debug problems.

2) the admin site "Server Status" tab doesn't list saslauthd so nothing was telling me that this process had stopped.

>1) When saslauthd is running "/opt/zimbra/bin/zmsaslauthdctl status" gives me no information at all. There is no response from that command so it doesn't help debug problems.
    >
    there is no output but there is a return value; try this ("0" means ok):
    zmsaslauthdctl status; echo $?

or even this:
    sh -x ~/bin/zmsaslauthdctl

>2) the admin site "Server Status" tab doesn't list saslauthd so nothing was telling me that this process had stopped.
    >
    it's under mta. did the server status display everything as running? "zmcontrol status" should mention any components that are not running