Thread: A couple of newbie questions - reply attribution, SSL and domain best practice

Default A couple of newbie questions - reply attribution, SSL and domain best practice

Hello,

I'm new to the world of Zimbra (OS Edition), having spent a lot of time in the world of Google Apps. There are a couple of issues that I was wondering can be customised:

1) Is there any way of changing the reply attribution - either as administrator or as a user - so that:

----- "User's Name" <useremail@address.co.uk> wrote:

can be formatted differently, and possibly include the date and time of the original message that's being replied to, was sent?

2) Can the standard user login use SSL? Is there a way of generating a self-signed certificate or installing a purchased certificate through the admin console?

3) What's a good best practice approach for setting up new Zimbra servers? I've used mail.domainname.co.uk as the initial hostname, but added an additional domain, domainname.co.uk and added standard users under for which will act as the primary domain name for the server. Is this okay, or should I change mail.domainname.co.uk through the command line script?

Many thanks,

Martyn

Welcome to the forums,

Quote Originally Posted by mbdrake View Post
    1) Is there any way of changing the reply attribution - either as administrator or as a user - so that:

----- "User's Name" <useremail@address.co.uk> wrote:

can be formatted differently, and possibly include the date and time of the original message that's being replied to, was sent?
    We don't use a 'wrote' like google does we show the headers - which have the time.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: user@domain.com
    Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:37:56 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
    Subject: ZF: Administrators: A couple of newbie questions - reply attribution, SSL and domain best practice
    (I just tested in ZD to double check we didn't use a custom hack for gmail accounts.)

Or are you asking for 'user wrote:' instead? Or to customize it, such as always removing the To: & Subject: fields?

2) Can the standard user login use SSL? Is there a way of generating a self-signed certificate or installing a purchased certificate through the admin console?
    CLI zmtlsctl to set Web Server Mode - Zimbra :: Wiki
    (https, both, mixed, redirect will use a self signed - no need to manually generate one)
    But for the future, if you want different subjectAltNames, renew/change length, or commercial: Administration Console and CLI Certificate Tools - Zimbra :: Wiki

3) What's a good best practice approach for setting up new Zimbra servers? I've used mail.domainname.co.uk as the initial hostname, but added an additional domain, domainname.co.uk and added standard users under for which will act as the primary domain name for the server. Is this okay, or should I change mail.domainname.co.uk through the command line script?
    That's fine.
    Might set zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomainName domain.com

(I can bore you with benefits of one way or the other if you really want.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 06-11-2009 at 11:26 AM.