Thread: restricting access to distribution list breaks postfix

Hybrid View

Default restricting access to distribution list breaks postfix

I am running ZCS version 4.5.10 on an Apple G5 Server Dual 2.3 GHz with 4 GB of RAM running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I have followed the instructions for restricting delivery of mail to a distribution list and achieved success the first time. After editing the permitted_senders file to add additional authorized senders and running postmap on the file, postfix returns the following error:
    fatal: open database /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/protected_recipients.db: Invalid argument

Now, even configuring the restrictions from scratch returns this error and the postfix subsystem becomes unresponsive.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

fatal: open database /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/protected_recipients.db: Invalid argument

Seems you added some wrong values, maybe syntax. Can you check that file again. Also try deleting protected_recipients.db and rerunning postmap.

I followed the instructions from RestrictPostfixRecipients - Zimbra :: Wiki verbatim. The system worked after I did it the first time. The error started after I added additional valid senders. I just tried the restriction configuration again from scratch and it didn't work.

Any thoughts? Are there limits on the number of valid senders the system can hold? That doesn't seem likely, but I'm not ordained in Postfix Arcana, so I don't know for sure.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by clbutler View Post
    I followed the instructions from RestrictPostfixRecipients - Zimbra :: Wiki verbatim. The system worked after I did it the first time. The error started after I added additional valid senders. I just tried the restriction configuration again from scratch and it didn't work.

Any thoughts? Are there limits on the number of valid senders the system can hold? That doesn't seem likely, but I'm not ordained in Postfix Arcana, so I don't know for sure.
    Did you add the additional senders as the zimbra user? Have a look at the permissions on the files and make sure they're correct.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I think the permissions are set to the defaults, owner=root, group=postfix. These were the permissions when I did the initial edits, I think. What should they be?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by clbutler View Post
    I think the permissions are set to the defaults, owner=root, group=postfix. These were the permissions when I did the initial edits, I think. What should they be?
    Well, if you followed the instructions and did the creation of the /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/permitted_senders
    file as the zimbra user then the owner/group would have been zimbra:zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

even with the permissions set to zimbra:zimbra on the .db files, I still received the error. Should I run the /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms script?

> fatal: open database /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/protected_recipients.db: Invalid argument

The error clearly says .db file is not proper. You need to check the file /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/protected_recipients for some wrong entries ( maybe in terms of enter or space or some special character not supported in email address) just remove entries you added later and figure out what entry was wrong.

Remember after any change you make to /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/protected_recipients you need to run postmap so that it updates the db file.