Thread: Best way to migrate from one Zimbra Server to another?

Default Best way to migrate from one Zimbra Server to another?

I will be switching colo providers shortly, and I need to move my zimbra server over from one server to another.

Thw new server is a pentium D x86_64 box. I had no choice but put Fedora Core 5 (which Zimbra doesn't support) x86_64 (which Zimbra also does not support) on this box. However, I also wanted to take advantage of Xen and isolate the mail server functionality from the rest of the server for security and pratical reasons. I know that there are a few intermitant problems that occur with Zimbra under Xen. (But since Zimbra isn'tsupported underx86_64 and FC5 anyways....)

So I have a few options here:
    1) The current zimbra install has never displayed statistics right, and seems to have trouble with the autospam functionality (the mailboxes don't appear in the admin screen, and it doesn't seem to autoprint. This box has been continuiously updated from M1 to 3.1.1. Does it make sense to start out fresh.

2) If so, is there a way I can migrate all of the users (including their current passwords and setups) without changing their passwords?

3) Does it make sense to try and do this via the multi server method? Or should I just start clean.

Any ideas?

Well 64bit and FC5 is a bad idea until we get a supported build. I'd go with FC4 and 32bit. You can do a clean install and just copy the data over. (ie full backup and restore of /opt/zimbra)
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Would this work for shifting from FC3 to FC4? I notice that 3.1 is the last build that will be released for FC3. Would copying a /opt/zimbra directory from a FC3 machine to a FC4 machine not cause some corruptions?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tbullock
    Would this work for shifting from FC3 to FC4? I notice that 3.1 is the last build that will be released for FC3. Would copying a /opt/zimbra directory from a FC3 machine to a FC4 machine not cause some corruptions?
    It should work, as it's only a straight file copy why do you think it might cause corruption? There are several threads on the forum describing the best/easiest method of moving to a new o/s and/or machine.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.