Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cut off emails

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Cut off emails

    I'm running ZCS 6 Beta 2.

    Two of my users have complained of receiving cut-off emails.

    They have forwarded me the emails as attachments, and in both cases they appear to be cut off just after the point where German Umlaut characters appear.

    Has anyone seen this before? Seems like quite a significant bug?

    My install is a fresh standalone ZCS 6 Beta 2 install from scratch.

    "Liebe xxx,

    ja natü
    ."

    "Sehr geehrte Frau xxx,

    in Ihrer Bestellung vom 01.07.2009 haben Sie als Zahlungsart PayPal gewä
    ."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Are those users reading their mail using Zimbra Desktop? A quick search using the term "umlaut" on the forums turns up quite a few threads regarding issues where the umlaut seems to confuse ZD.
    Cheers,

    Dan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    No, both users are using Thunderbird to download their Mail via POP.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Is it missing if you view the mail in the Zimbra web client?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I had this problem also! Worked fine with 5.0.12, I tested beta1 and 2 and seemd to work fine also, but with POP of my customer domain I had ALL .pdf cut! That was going to be a disaster for me.
    I had to use fetchmail instead of "external account", that fortunatly was working fine, even if less than optimal ("Get mail" does not fetch as you press it, he has to wait until cron executes fetchmail).
    Messages i.e. of 240K and a pdf attach were fetched by zimbra only for 235K, resulting in a corrupted pdf. With .doc, .ptt or .jpg I had no troubles.
    I'm going to file a bug about that.
    So seems that grabbing mail from POP in 6.beta does not work with all POP servers, don't know why (pop.tiscali.it works, pop.mycustomer_at_register.it not).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Not sure, I've asked them to try that.

    They've forwarded me the emails as attachments from Thunderbird and they certainly are cut off there. Will try to work out if it's related to POP download / Thunderbird. Still seems like a bug in Zimbra in any event though because they did not have this problem with the same Thunderbird install fetching from vpopmail previously.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I've filed this bug:
    Bug 39302 – pdf attachments corrupted with POP3 external account from some providers
    If you can confirm it, please also post there.
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    The users have confirmed that the problem only happens when they try to download mail via POP.

    Mail is displayed completely through the Zimbra web interface, but when downloaded via POP, messages are cut off after the first Umlaut character (ä ö &#252.

    It only seems to happen if the character is on the first line of the email body. Umlauts later in the mail don't seem to have an effect.

    This is quite a major bug and my users are unhappy with the change to Zimbra because of this.

    Could dev look into this? Try sending some messages with those characters in the first line, then download them via POP?
    Last edited by Hubert; 07-24-2009 at 07:36 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    You'll want to report it to Bugzilla.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    6

    Default same here - 6.0 beta 2

    Has someone reported this to Bugzilla?

    I have the same problem - umlauts in headers seem to be the problem, if fetched via POP from external account and somehow not coded correctly.

    The Amavis of my POP-provider complains about the header as follows:
    X-Amavis-Alert: BAD HEADER SECTION, Non-encoded 8-bit data (char E4 hex):

    It's a major bug, as it renders Zimbra unuseable at this side of the world, where umlauts (and crappy mailers that refuse to encode them correctly) are obviously pretty common.

    Wolfram

Similar Threads

  1. default path for emails
    By adeelbashir in forum General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
  2. Incorrect dates on inbox emails
    By owen howlett in forum Error Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
  3. Discussion: Printing Emails
    By Nox in forum /etc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
  4. Not receiving emails
    By koby in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 03:29 AM
  5. emails don't show up in inbox in browser
    By pstelzer in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •