Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto catchall on a subdomain

Question Howto catchall on a subdomain

Hi there
    I want to set up a catchall on a subdomain. I can't figure out how to do this so I need some help.
    So, the domain configured in Zimbra is dnstrafik.net and I want all emails going to <something>@post.dnstrafik.net to be sent to blinkiz@dnstrafik.net. How can I do this?
    zmprov modifyAccount blinkiz@dnstrafik.net zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @post.dnstrafik.net does not really work.

I have tried out of few configurations from Zimbra Wiki - Managing Domains, but I can't get it to work.
    I have blinkiz@dnstrafik.net set up. I can successfully catchall address on a none subdomain, like <something>@dnstrafik.net. But when trying with a subdomain, email is bouncing with message "Relay access denied".

Don't worry, dnstrafik.net is just a lab environment domain, not the real one.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Using a catchall is never a good idea, you can end up with a ton of spam in the accounts. WHy don't you either a) rename the domain to what you want or b) create the new domain and give everyone an alias in that domain? You could have set the domain correctly during the initial install when you were asked if you wanted to change the domain name.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Using a catchall is never a good idea, you can end up with a ton of spam in the accounts. WHy don't you either a) rename the domain to what you want or b) create the new domain and give everyone an alias in that domain? You could have set the domain correctly during the initial install when you were asked if you wanted to change the domain name.
    I have in fact decreased spam this way.
    For example, if I register here at zimbra forum, I use the email address zimbra@post.dnstrafik.net. If I register somewhere else, I use another unique address.This way, I know which sites is having bad security or selling my address. Its also really simple to organize the inbox with filters when everything is having unique incoming addresses.
    Spam robots thats crawling around for domains do not collect subdomains. Don't know why, but that's a fact. I have been using this since 2002.

Ultimate solution is in the end to have catchall address set up for all accounts created within zimbra. So if I create the account "blinkiz", a catchall will also be set up for <anything>@blinkiz.dnstrafik.net. This way, all users can safely publish unique email addresses around the Internet and just use "address forwarder" to a ":fail:" address if they start to receive spam for example on zimbra@blinkiz.dnstrafik.net.

So please help me with my wishes.

zimbraMailCatchAllAddress works only with domain you applied it to. For subdomains u need to do masquerading seperately.

So, the conclusion is that it's not possible to forward all incoming emails from a virtual subdomain like @blinkiz.dnstrafik.net without creating that domain in Zimbra?
    <anything>@blinkiz.dnstrafik.net -> blinkiz@dnstrafik.net

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    zimbraMailCatchAllAddress works only with domain you applied it to. For subdomains u need to do masquerading seperately.
    I don't understand. Do you mean that I first set up masquerading on @blinkiz.dnstrafik.net so it becomes just @dnstrafik.net? And then do catchall on @dnstrafik.net? Well, that will increase spam. Never catchall on a second level domain (@domain.com.).

I do not see why you cannot create the sub-domain in ZCS and then apply a catch-all to that

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    I do not see why you cannot create the sub-domain in ZCS and then apply a catch-all to that
    I sure can. I tried that out a day ago and it worked.

But I would like to be able to give every account a own subdomain (see explanation above). This will probably not be a good idea if I need to create a new domain each time in Zimbra. CPU or memory will maybe increase a lot?

Yes, I see what you are trying to achieve but AFAIK this is inherent to how Postfix handles domains.

Zimbra doesnt have a concept of subdomains. Every domain is a virtual domain with no link to other ( even if it is a subdomain)

Correct, and you can have thousands and thousands without it really hitting CPU. AV/AS are always the highest hogs on a MTA.