Thread: ack! rm -rf /opt/zimbra/db

Unhappy ack! rm -rf /opt/zimbra/db

Help!

I managed to fat finger an 'rm -rf' command and wiped out /bin, /lib64, /opt/zimbra/backup and /opt/zimbra/db directories.

I think everything else in /opt/zimbra is still intact. After I quickly stopped the 'rm -rf', the web and admin interface continued to function, but mail wasn't being delivered because /lib64 was gone and postfix stopped working.

I'm going to rebuild the server on a different box, and I was able to use a rescue disk to rsync off what was left of the filesystem.

/opt/zimbra/db was on it's own LVM logical volume. Other than trying to salvage the data from the LVM partition, is there any way to recreate what was in /opt/zimbra/db ? Backups are gone.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you not have a rsync to another machine ? No tape backup ? Is /opt/zimbra/store still intact ?

Unfortunately, I don't have any other backup. I was able to rsync off to another server after the error. I believe that /opt/zimbra/store is still intact.

Thanks for the response!

Well, IMHO I think the only option would be to stand up a new server and inject all the emails back into the new server from /opt/zimbra/store.

It would help aswell if you let us know which version of ZCS you are running aswell.
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v

I am in the process of putting together a new server. Is there any way that I can salvage/pull a list of the user accounts? I see the openldap-data appears to be intact. Also, do you have more info on how to inject the mail back into each users account from the old mailstore?

Thanks again for your help

Also, here's which version I'm working with:
    zimbra-core-5.0.14_GA_2850.RHEL5_64-20090303145145.x86_64

You could also try to set up a new server and copy over the existing /opt/zimbra onto it. See if it works. But don't delete any more thing on the old server!

Thanks for the reply.

I have reinstalling the same version of Zimbra on the new server, and then rsyncing the old /opt/zimbra see this page for details. Because the /opt/zimbra/db directory is gone, it can't verify the database integrity and the install fails.

So far I am just going to have to rebuild from scratch and try to salvage to mail from the old /opt/zimbra/store.
    Last edited by phoenix; 07-12-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: fixed a link