Thread: Blackberry Configuration query

Default Blackberry Configuration query

Hi,

I am not sure, do i need to raise this question here..but i m sure that most of the guys must know the answer...

I have a just one concern ..Recently i have enabled TLS connection and SSL with POP and SSL with IMAP at zimbra server.

And now few users want to access mails through Blackberry Internet server (BIS)...so just wanted to know do they need to inform service provider to configure their account with 993 (IMAP with SSL) and 465 ( SMTP with SSL) ? is there any other setting they need to do at blackberry / service provider end for ssl ??

I have enabled POP with ssl also at my server end. If we want to configure IMAP with SSL in blackberry ..then do we need to disable POP at server end ?? or it doesn't matter ??

Please suggest.

Thanks

It has been a few months since I setup an account with BIS on my device. Using Verizon's BIS page all I had to do was add it and it tried the SSL connection first. You can go to the advanced setting on your account and force port 993 though.

So to restate, I would expect new additions to figure out the encrypted path first, and anyone who had an existing account setup would have to go to the advanced settings and specify port 993.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your inputs.

Can you please tellme about 465 port ? smtp with ssl...is it compatible with blackberry ? ? and do i need to disble POP3 at mail server end if user want to access IMAP with ssl from blackberry ??

Because one of service provider informed me that by defult BIS solution search for POP3 protocol if it found it disable then it search for IMAP ...is it there any priority setting as per protocol for BIS solution??

And one mor ething..i am using FOSS edition..not network edition of zimbra...

Pls suggest.

Thanks.

Aaah...In that case everything I said doesn't matter
    I have less experience with the BIS settings but have setup a few accounts that way. As long as the IMAPs ports (TCP:993) is open and accessible from outside, I believe BIS will pick that up first.

I am not sure about the secure SMTP connection. I thought that the outbound mail was delivered via your BIS provider, but I could be wrong on that one.