Thread: Using Zimbra as a backup mail server for Exchange 2003

Default Using Zimbra as a backup mail server for Exchange 2003

Good afternoon all. I've downloaded and installed Zimbra 5.0.18 running on CentOS 5.3, and I absolutely love it. What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

We are relocating our Exchange 2003 infrastructure (clustered back-end and a front end server) to Hong Kong from the Seattle area. It's going to take 2 to 3 weeks to bring it back online, so in the meantime, I need to queue the mail, and allow users to still work with their email.

What I've figured out so far. I have figured out how to import users via CSV, using CSVDE from Active Directory to easily populate my users on Zimbra. This will retain user's Active Directory passwords, which I'm really pleased with. And the ajax web interface simply rocks.

So what do I need to know is, how to map users to users once the Exchange server is back online, so I can merge the mail from Zimbra to Exchange? Would this require relaying to the Exchange server? I was also thinking about paying for a POP3 connector that allows for "many to many" user mapping, if that's the solution. It's the end of the day and I'm at a loss here.

OK, I was having some issues getting Exchange to recieve email, but got that straightened out, so when it's NIC is disabled, mail flows to the Zimbra server as it should (both internal DNS and external DNS). What I need to understand is how to backfill the Exchange server once it's back online in HK, or if that's even possible. Worst case, I can create PST files from the Zimbra server and use Exmerge, but that's worst case.

Just wanted to post that this solution most definitely works using the MAPILab Native POP3 Connector for Exchange 2003. I will have to add each mailbox by hand, but it will automatically map to the Exchange address, and it has options to leave the email on the Zimbra server as well. This solution is going to work well for our migration! I did want to say thank you for such a great product. I hate to put our staff on some cheesy POP3 service during this transition. This is by far, one of the best mail solutions I've worked with aside from Exchange, and the webmail interface simply destroys OWA.

In the future, I will most definitely consider the Network Edition of your software, but I do have some questions there. I notice that for 100 users, the yearly cost is around $2800. I know the up front costs of Exchange can be high, but once paid for, there are no yearly costs involved, making the Zimbra Network Edition solution more costly in the long run. Am I wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaneth View Post
    In the future, I will most definitely consider the Network Edition of your software, but I do have some questions there. I notice that for 100 users, the yearly cost is around $2800. I know the up front costs of Exchange can be high, but once paid for, there are no yearly costs involved, making the Zimbra Network Edition solution more costly in the long run. Am I wrong here?
    With Exchange you are stuck with the version you purchase unless you are paying for software assurance with Microsoft. Not to mention all the CALs and OS purchases as well... Zimbra is constantly being updated and improved. Thats what you are are paying for and included support.

Glad to hear your temporary solution will work for you while Exchange is being transported. You may consider that package gets "lost".

Understood about high costs (OS / CAL's). Let's hope the package doesn't get "lost" LOL. If so, looks like we're a new Zimbra customer. I've been managing Exchange servers since 1999 (5.5), and recently started working with Linux over the last year. Like I say, it destroys Exchange in many aspects.

Need to know how to stop outbound email from our Zimbra server. We were using it as a temporary server, and I need to be able to access the server over POP3 SSL, port 995, but don't want SMTP running. We successfully shipped our Exchange server overseas, and Zimbra was absolutely great, I'm going to miss it. Since we got Exchange back up, and used MapiLab's POP3 connector, we have merged mail from the Zimbra server successfully, but there is a lot of mail, and I want to make sure it's completed. The problem I'm seeing in my mailbox, is that I'm getting a high number of undeliverables, or retries sent to my Exchange mailbox. Just want to stop SMTP from the Zimbra server to stop this. The undeliverables do not live in my Zimbra inbox, so I know it's Zimbra sending them out, and flooding my Blackberry as well. I've used the command "zmmailboxdctl stop", but this kills POP3 as well, which I don't want. Is there any other way to just stop SMTP? There should be, since this is a protection mechanism when a virus starts propagating, though I know Zimbra has good anti-virus. Anyway, any help or suggestion would be appreciated.