Thread: How to sync adress books between mail accounts?

Default How to sync adress books between mail accounts?

We do have a global user called office. This user has all the shared adress books for the company. But two problems arise:

1.) Shared Adress books are not recoginsed by the autocomplete function
    2.) Shared Adress books do not get synchronized with funambol (wolframa plugin)

So the best Solution would be to simply synchronize (by a script lets say all 24 hours) the Adress Books of user "office" and any user who should get it.

We did solve this by a script wich deletes all contacts in the target user adress books loads the curent adress books from the user office via wget (REST urls) and upload it to the wanted target users adress books back via curl.

The problem is since we delete all contacts first funambol thinks those are new contacts and since the old ones are simply gone it leaves the adresses on the the mobile phone instead of deleting it wich ultimately leads to dubbling all the adresses for the local user...

My next idea was to sync the to adress folders of the accounts via imapsync but it seems thath the type changes from contact to mail on synchronizing -> had anyone sucessfully synchronized contacts between two accounts via imapsync?!?

an other option i will try is the STS Source to Source addon of funambol ... but there are no tutorials or hints how to do it so it could take a looooong while before this works ... if it works at all.

Any other thoughts or hints how to sucessfully sync shared adress books?

Brainstorming...

You might be able to do it with a script that calls

zmmailbox -z -m <mailboxname> search -t contact in:</path/to/contacts>
    zmmailbox -z -m <mailboxname> gct <contact_id>
    zmmailbox -z -m <mailboxname> cct [attributes]

etc.

But it might be slow.

It might be faster to use imapsync and then use zmmailbox to change the types back to contact.

Also you might ask/test/search forums & bugzilla to see if an upgrade would fix (1) and (2) for you.

Thanks for your input!

One Question remains:
    ---
    You mentioned i schould change back the type of the folder and items later on with zmmailbox but i did not find a way how to change the type of a folder or item in that folder from "message" to "contact" AFTER the folder has been created?!?

Did you just guess this is possible or do you know how to do it?!?

Thanks a lot!

Good question. I don't see a way to do that. But there has to be at least a way to change a folder's view between conversation and message, so maybe something is hidden somewhere.