Thread: copying mail from one mailbox to a folder in another mailbox

Hybrid View

Default copying mail from one mailbox to a folder in another mailbox

I haven't seen this situation mentioned in the forum yet, so I started a new thread.

I've been asked to copy email from one mailbox to a folder in another mailbox. My first idea was to just open both mailboxes in a mailclient, but that would move the mail (not copy it), and I'd really rather not have to open the mailbox if i can help it.

I don't know if imapsync is the answer, but I tried it once a while back and it sucked up all the resources and crashed the mail server (not a good day). That makes me hesitant to see if this is even the correct tool here.

What's the best way to get the mail from one mailbox into a folder of another mailbox (without removing mail from the first mailbox)?

Thanks,
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neildomo View Post
    I haven't seen this situation mentioned in the forum yet, so I started a new thread.

I've been asked to copy email from one mailbox to a folder in another mailbox. My first idea was to just open both mailboxes in a mailclient, but that would move the mail (not copy it), and I'd really rather not have to open the mailbox if i can help it.

I don't know if imapsync is the answer, but I tried it once a while back and it sucked up all the resources and crashed the mail server (not a good day). That makes me hesitant to see if this is even the correct tool here.

What's the best way to get the mail from one mailbox into a folder of another mailbox (without removing mail from the first mailbox)?

Thanks,
    Neil
    I received an email via this thread, but it's not showing up in the browser yet. Anyway, the email showed two zmmailbox commands, but both looked like they were for "getting" mail from a mailbox (or mailbox folder). Can I "get" the entire mailbox, and then "post" that mailbox.tgz file to a folder in a second mailbox? Will the second mailbox have all the mail from the first mailbox in one of their folders? What is the format for that command?

Thanks,
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neildomo View Post
    I received an email via this thread, but it's not showing up in the browser yet. Anyway, the email showed two zmmailbox commands, but both looked like they were for "getting" mail from a mailbox (or mailbox folder). Can I "get" the entire mailbox, and then "post" that mailbox.tgz file to a folder in a second mailbox? Will the second mailbox have all the mail from the first mailbox in one of their folders? What is the format for that command?

Thanks,
    Neil
    Yea, I deleted my post. I didn't have the right command to import into a folder. I don't have a Zimbra box in reach to test. But, I believe it can be done.