Thread: [SOLVED] mailbox stuck in maintenance mode

Default [SOLVED] mailbox stuck in maintenance mode

Tried to move a huge mailbox (>20GB) from one mailserver to another in the same domain.

zmmailboxmove -a brak@pricegrabber.com -t zimbra2.domain.com

Had to leave for a while, but when I came back I'd been logged out of the system(the one time I don't use screen!). I logged back in and tried the same command again, but got the error:

Error occurred: mailbox in maintenance mode: 570

I went into the web console as zadmin, went to brak's mailbox, and changed the dropdown box from Maintenance to Active. Then I tried moving the mailbox in the gui from zimbra1 to zimbra2 and got this error:

Error code: mail.MAINTENANCE Message: mailbox in maintenance mode: 570 Details:soap:Receiver

How do I get this mailbox unstuck? I assume the mailbox is still intact on zimbra1, but what about brak's mail in the meantime?

Thanks,
    Neil

For a workaround I created a new mailbox, and renamed the 'stuck' one to brak_broke@domain.com. That at least works for new mail, but I still have to figure out what to do with the 23GB(ugh) in the old mailbox.

Thanks,
    Neil

Has there been any other solutions to this problem that have been found? It is currently causing some issues with us as the only known fix is to restart mailbox services during non-maintenance times, which effects all users on the mailstore.

Quote Originally Posted by neildomo View Post
    Tried to move a huge mailbox (>20GB) from one mailserver to another in the same domain.

zmmailboxmove -a brak@pricegrabber.com -t zimbra2.domain.com

Had to leave for a while, but when I came back I'd been logged out of the system(the one time I don't use screen!). I logged back in and tried the same command again, but got the error:

Error occurred: mailbox in maintenance mode: 570

I went into the web console as zadmin, went to brak's mailbox, and changed the dropdown box from Maintenance to Active. Then I tried moving the mailbox in the gui from zimbra1 to zimbra2 and got this error:

Error code: mail.MAINTENANCE Message: mailbox in maintenance mode: 570 Details:soap:Receiver

How do I get this mailbox unstuck? I assume the mailbox is still intact on zimbra1, but what about brak's mail in the meantime?

Thanks,
    Neil
    I take it you remoted in to the server via ssh?

If so, I'm guessing your ssh session timed out. So first, to prevent that from ever happening again, you can add the following line to /etc/ssh/ssh_config on your management workstation:
    Code:
    ServerAliveInterval 60
    That will tell your ssh client to talk to the ssh server once every 60 seconds, to ensure the ssh session stays alive until you actually type "exit".

The mailbox move process as you probably know comprises putting the mailbox in maintenance mode to prevent any changes, copying the mailbox contents (not sure if the indexes are moved or simply recreated) to the new server, updating LDAP, and then destroying the mailbox on the original server.

If the copy process completed, you'll see the mailbox on the new server. I'm guessing that's not the case because I can easily see the ssh session time out before the copy is complete.

If so, then I would restore the original mailbox from backup to a prefixed mailbox and then use an IMAP client to move the contents of the restored mailbox to the new mailbox on the new server (the mailbox in which the user is currently receiving new mail).

After that, restart Zimbra on the server with the borked mailbox during your normal maintenance window. That should enable you to delete that mailbox and free up the 20+GB.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

This is an old thread, IIRC I was able to export the mail to a file using zmmailbox and then import it into the new mailbox. I was dealing with a handful of other issues at the time, but I think something like: zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com getRestURL “//?fmt=tgz” > /tmp/account.tgz . If you search for getRestURL and postRestURL you'll probably find more on it.

FWIW, the guess about ssh timing out was wrong, the server I had leapfrogged from had gotten shut down while I was gone. If I was running screen on the zimbra server I could've reattached.

Hi Neil,

You are right this is an old thread; it popped up on my New Posts list and I only looked at the time stamp on ab5602 post, not yours.

Glad you got things solved.

All the best,
    Mark