Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Emails containing word attachments sometimes don't arrive

Your user has an overbroad filter. Preferences-Filters.

I'd already thought of that and the only filter was one that discarded mails with {Spam} or ****** in the subject. Had turned off all filters but I don't think they would have applied anyway. Don't think that the filter would have discarded a word document yet allowed an identically named pdf file.

Simon

Change that rule to move to Trash instead of discard.

There could be some unhappiness with wildcards or curly braces.

You've cracked it, thanks so much. Changed the filter to "move to trash" got the sender to resend the message and it duly appeared in the trash folder. Absolutely nothing in the message or word doc that I can see that remotely matches the filter rules but presumably it is hidden somewhere in the encoding.

I'll mark the issue as solved - thanks again.

Simon

PS - Nice place Minnesota - I've got a cousi who works at Symantec in the twin cities and had our holiday there last summer

Can you get the "Show Original" and try to pinpoint the bug? If "contains *****" matches any 5-letter word, for example, that would be bad.

The filter rule was essentially "if subject contains *spam* then discard". There waqs nothing in the subject of the message (which I took to mean the actual message title) that matched. However in "show original" there is the following line :-
    X-Path: TalkTalk-smtp
    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
    X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: ArEEAAt5rEpOkr04/2dsb2JhbACCVYhGgnIGggbHeYQYBQ

I suppose the filter could be taking the *'s as wildcards and picking up on the word "spam" to discard but I am not sure why it would be looking further than the subject of the message.

Am I misunderstanding the use of the filter?

Regards

Simon

As a alternative you could match on that IronPort header and move it to the Junk folder ? ZCS out of the box looks for X-Spam-Flag but that can be changed.

Not sure I'm following you now - the point is that this email wasn't spam or junk and should have gone straight to the inbox. I can't see firstly why it got picked up as spam and secondly why, even if it did, the filter we had discarded it. (Originally discarded and since we adjusted the filter now puts it in trash)

Our incoming mail runs through an earlier spam filter at dyndns.com and if that finds spam it prefixes the message subject with *Spam*. I had set a filter which I thought would look just at the message subject and discard if it had *Spam* in the title. The particular test message we have been looking at did not get flagged as spam and therefore did not have the *Spam* prefix added yet still zimbra discarded it. It must be the filter because now we have changed from discard to "move to trash" the mail is received but put in the trash folder.

It must be that the filter is looking much deeper than just the subject of the message.

I'm not altogether certain whether zimbra is behaving improperly or whether I am fundamentally misunderstanding the use of the filters.

Regards

Simon