Thread: restore

Hybrid View

Default restore

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out with this.

Over the past two weeks after an upgrade to 6.01 the server became increasingly unstable with LDAP authentication to external server and finally yesterday it crased out completely. The server OS itself had become unstable as well so I would imagine there was some sort of corruption in 5.018 and 6.01 just showed it up, anyway, I copied the whole zimbra directory to a backup server then clean installed the OS, did all updates and then installed 6.01 again. Running all good now and have recreated all accounts, lists etc.

Is there anyway to use the backup copy of zimbra to get everyones mail, mail folders, rules, address book, documents, briefcase etc etc back or is this going to be impossible?

As I said, I have complete copy including databases, index's and stores.

Really appreciate in advance any help or direction you can give me.

Search the wiki, many examples and howto's there

Network edition:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...up_and_Restore

Open Source:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...dure#Restoring

Please keep in mind, these are zimbra 5.0.x howto's. There could be differences in 6.0.1. Also be aware some serious OS-X DNS issues have been reported while using zimbra 6.0.x on OS-X 10.5 (search the forums).

Thanks for your reply... going in search of now

On the DNS issues, I have personally experienced this and believe the LDAP auth failures were due to DNS not resolving properly. This caused either failure to authenticate or simple bind failure messages constantly but would come right by itself or a restart. Usually happens when network load is high and DNS is getting hammered.

Today I set it up a little different. It is installed on a 10.5 server so I set up that server to be a DNS server authoritive for itself and forwarding all other traffic. I also used the IP of the external LDAP instead of hostname in zimbra.

After setting accounts up I tested it and they authenticate very fast now. It is working beautifully fingers crossed X

Apart from needing to get mail back etc the only problem I have now is in some areas of admin which I think is because I have set the web port to 81. If I try to click view mail for a user I get an error. If I add 81 to the url it works fine.

Before you ask, I had to use 81 so I could load a page first to let our users know that they were on IPC Webmail. I got lots of complaints before that they couldnt access webmail after I changed from another server even though I told them all ) well you get that! so I now load a simple graphic first then redirect to zimbra webmail which is in a frame. take a look and you will see what I mean. Welcome to IPC Webmail

This keeps the zimbra branding but also lets our users know where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivos View Post
    Search the wiki, many examples and howto's there

Network edition:
    5.0.x Network Edition Backup and Restore - Zimbra :: Wiki

Open Source:
    Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki

Please keep in mind, these are zimbra 5.0.x howto's. There could be differences in 6.0.1. Also be aware some serious OS-X DNS issues have been reported while using zimbra 6.0.x on OS-X 10.5 (search the forums).