Thread: [SOLVED] Possibly corrupt index

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Possibly corrupt index

I have a few mailboxes that have the following error show up in mailbox.log when I try to reindex them:
    Code:
    2009-09-30 14:50:19,991 WARN  [ReIndex-1] [name=user@company.com;mid=11;] indexadd - Caught exception while indexing message id 7664 - indexing blocked.  Possibly corrupt index?
    java.lang.NullPointerException: value cannot be null
            at org.apache.lucene.document.Field.<init>(Field.java:275)
            at org.apache.lucene.document.Field.<init>(Field.java:251)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.LuceneIndex.addDocument(LuceneIndex.java:199)
            at com.zimbra.cs.index.MailboxIndex.indexMailItem(MailboxIndex.java:501)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper.indexingPartOfEndTransaction(IndexHelper.java:994)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.endTransaction(Mailbox.java:6587)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper.indexItemList(IndexHelper.java:889)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper.indexDeferredItemsInternal(IndexHelper.java:359)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper.indexDeferredItems(IndexHelper.java:277)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper.access$500(IndexHelper.java:54)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper$ReIndexTask.reIndex(IndexHelper.java:487)
            at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.IndexHelper$ReIndexTask.run(IndexHelper.java:417)
            at com.zimbra.common.util.ThreadPool$CountedTask.run(ThreadPool.java:136)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
            at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Since I get this every time I try to re-index them obviously that is not fixing the corrupt index. According to this post http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...html#post98743 one method is to shut down zimbra, delete the users index, then start zimbra back up and it should re-index that user.

Does anybody know if that is still the correct method, or is there a better way of dealing with this problem?

For future reference if somebody finds this thread:

Putting the account in Maintenance mode, stopping zimbra, deleting the users index folder, starting zimbra (which didn't immediatly rebuild the index), and then forcing a reload didn't cause this problem to disapear, but still works in 6.0.x. This lead me to think that it was something in the message that was preventing the indexing. Since this was simply a user setup to collect some spam I deleted the entire folder as there were quite a few messages causing this error.

If anybody finds this thread on a search I filed Bug 42599 - Message causes NPE on ReIndex - indexing blocked.