Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a new domain at work, how do i change thsi in zimbra

Default I have a new domain at work, how do i change thsi in zimbra

Hi All,
    I have been using zimbra successfully for about a year BUt now I have a problem.
    i have installed new servers and renamed the domain.
    It was originally called prentonhigh.internal and my zimbra server was named email.prentonhigh.internal BUT now my new domain is called prentonhigh.local.

I am having problems when emails are sent to the zimbra users and looking in the mail queue I can see that the emails are arriving at the server but I get the following error...

host or domain name not found. name service error for name=email.prentonhigh.internal type=a: host not found, try again.

Can someone suggest what I need to do to fix this, should I change something on my dns server or would it be a setting on the zimbra box itself.

Thanks in advance.

Reg

It would help if you let us know which version of ZCS you are running by updating your profile with the following output
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v

Thanks uxbod, I have now updated my profile.

i have Release 5.0.11_GA_2695.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition

Thanks

host or domain name not found. name service error for name=email.prentonhigh.internal type=a: host not found, try again.

your domain name is prentonhigh.local. Your earlier domain was prentonhigh.internal. What is email.prentonhigh.internal ?

Is this the host name of the system ? Are these regular mails sent by users or mails sent by system ?

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post

your domain name is prentonhigh.local. Your earlier domain was prentonhigh.internal. What is email.prentonhigh.internal ?

Is this the host name of the system ? Are these regular mails sent by users or mails sent by system ?
    OK sorry it is a bit confusing!

My old windows domain was prentonhigh.internal.
    My new windows domain is prentonhigh.local
    My zimbra box is called email.prentonhigh.internal as seen in configuration > servers.

These failing emails are emails that have been sent to the zimbra email users from extearnal servers.

thanks

It looks like you still have some part of your setup configured to use prentonhigh.internal as the address. You said you "installed new servers and renamed the domain", how did you accomplish this domain rename?

I installed a brand new windows domain so I didn't actually have to rename that! I have not renamed the zimbra server at all in any way as I can't see how to!

The local FQDN on the zimbra server does not need to match the name of a domain held within it.

What is the name of the mail server as reported by typing 'hostname' into the console. What is name of the domain listed in the zimbra admin console?

Thanks.

Both when I type hostname into the console and when I look at the admin zimbra console come back with email.prentonhigh.internal.

So the email address of a user on that system would be user@ email.prentonhigh.internal is that correct? Is this system not used for external email?

You mention in the first post that messages are queueing. What address are these messages being sent to? (you dont have to disclose a real email address if you dont wish to)