Thread: Help recovering from disaster

Default Help recovering from disaster

Hi all!

I'm a linux admin, newbie to zimbra. Few days ago I was asked for help, a server running zimbra crashed and there was no way to fix it. All I knew is that it was a Zimbra Network Edition, with a valid License key. As they needed to have it up&working ASAP, we downloaded and install latest zimbra network edition (6.0.1 GA) with a Trial License key, and config it with same users it had.

We've got a backup. Its a 48GB .tar that contains /opt/zimbra in it. I've setup a new box (RescueBox), same OS (ubuntu804LTS), and untared it. For some reason the tar file is incomplete, and at some point it stops with an error. Looks like important stuff is there: backups (/opt/zimbra/backup) & Licensekey.

Reading this:

Network Edition Disaster Recovery - Zimbra :: Wiki

My first question is where I can get the version number of zimbra. Remember that we don't have a "working" zimbra in our RescueBox, we only have an incomplete untared backup (/opt/zimbra) from the production server, from the day after it crashed.

We are pretty sure that zimbra's version must be at least some months old, we'll see. But is there any chance if we move our rescued /opt/zimbra/backup to our production server (6.0.1) and try to restore it? Remember that in production server we installed zimbra 6.0.1 from scratch and added users manually again.

Which woud be the best procedure to recover those backups to the production server? Again, backups are form and older zimbra's version that the one is actually in production.

Thanks in advance,

J

su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v

...gets the version info...

Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog

Once u find out the version info, you need to run a clean install, delete the /opt/zimbra folder, mirror the backup to /opt/zimbra/, make sure all the permissions are correct, then it should start up...

however, with a partial working backup...sounds to me like you'd have to kinda piece it together... I've been trying to get info about how to backup/restore/move JUST the user info, but zimbra folks seam hesitant to share how to...

Quote Originally Posted by NoDoze View Post
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    Clean system (no zimbra installed). We start form a .tar that contains /opt/zimbra. This .tar is corrupted at some point and not everything gets extracted correctly. Looks like important stuff is OK.

I need to extract the zimbra version from some of those files. C'mon, sure zimbra has some file hidden somwhere where says "Hi world, I'm Zimbra v. x.x.x." ;-)

a

As a NE customer have you opened a ticket with support

If your customer requires a rescue then please PM me