Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best practice for company calendar?

Default Best practice for company calendar?

We are going to setup a company calendar for all employees here and I will add it to all of their accounts when we migrate over to 6.0. The question I have is what is the best practice for having a company calendar?

As of now my thinking is to have one of our AAs to manage it but what happens if she leaves the company? Is there a way to move it from one person to another? I seen a thread or two that will export the information and then create a new calendar and then import the data back. Is this the only way or is there a way to move it along with the shares over to a new person.

Anything else as far as a company calendar as far as practices?

dj

We have every employee share one calendar that states their in/out/hours status, that's shared with everyone in the company. If you want to see what an employee's schedule is that day, you simply have to check their calendar so that u can view it. This also enables people to schedule meetings with whomever calendar they select.

Then we have company calendars for the conference room, and company vehicles. These calendars are managed by everyone and shared by everyone, that way if you want to check out the company car or book the conf room for a meeting, the employee can mark the time on the calendar themselves.

AND we also have a vacation calendar. This calendar is shared by everyone in the company BUT only the office manager has manage status on it so she can post approved vacations, but yet everyone can still view it. Mind you, the employee still has to post their vacation on their own calendar just to keep consistency.

You could get calendars to work for you in any way you want them too. The above examples are just how we choose to use the system. You just have to think it through so that it works for everyone

For your particular worry above about if the person the account belongs to leaves, you could simply create an account just for the company wide calendar(s), this way the account will always be there.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    For your particular worry above about if the person the account belongs to leaves, you could simply create an account just for the company wide calendar(s), this way the account will always be there.
    This is what I have setup for some of our clients and they love it, because that way they can delegate different access if needed when people leave and replace, just by simply changing the permissions.
    Eric J Lynner
    Dynamic Business Solutions

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.”
    – Donald Knuth

Quote Originally Posted by Lynner View Post
    This is what I have setup for some of our clients and they love it, because that way they can delegate different access if needed when people leave and replace, just by simply changing the permissions.
    We are moving to the network edition so wouldn't this take up one of my accounts?

dj

Unfortunately that is the only downside of the whole thing.
    Eric J Lynner

– Donald Knuth

you can use a resource. their calendars can be shared too and don't count against the license.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    you can use a resource. their calendars can be shared too and don't count against the license.
    Cool. Thanks a bunch. That is how I will do it then.

dj

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Good Call, I totally forgot about the resources, I may have to look at redoing that one for our client as well
    Eric J Lynner

– Donald Knuth

Alas, while hanging a calendar on a resource is a great idea, no one appears to have answered the part of OP's question which is also mine (and probably that of other people):

Once you're stuck with having an already populated calendar attached to the email account of a terminated employee

1) How do you *move* it, whether to another account or a resource?

2) Is that in the doco, and where?

3) If not, why? :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.