Thread: 6.0.1 Backups eating all drive space

Hybrid View

Default 6.0.1 Backups eating all drive space

I updated to 6.0.1 from 5.18 last month, Sep 21 to be exact. At that time only 40% of the available drive space was used. Today I noticed that 80% was used. Through looking at the stats log, I can see each time weekly full backup is run, it eats about 15%. This is really different from what happened with version 5.

Will it keep doing this? I forsee running out of drive space really soon.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

It looks like the /opt/zimbra/backup folder is sitting at 229gb, while /opt/zimbra/store is only 57gb. In 5.0.x we were using about 120gb total, now it's nearly 300gb.

Why?Are backups not compressed at all?
    Last edited by quietas; 10-16-2009 at 12:03 PM.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

I noticed the same thing, and have subsequently reduced the amount of backups I keep, and ship the backups off to another server every night. I think they are compressed, but something is taking all the diskspace somehow. Maybe a stuck thread is not releasing it.
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

backups can be compressed or uncompressed, it depends on hte -z argument to zmbackup in the crontab entries. it could be possible that you had this before, but the upgrade process removed it. i'd take a look

you can maybe get a better idea by looking at the size of the backups you have in /opt/zimbra/backup/sessions. an easy way to get a listing would be like

du -m -max-depth=1 /opt/zimbra/backup/sessions

Where would this hte setting be? I don't see it in /etc/crontab or in crontab.daily.
    Culley

the best way to edit the cron files is using cron -e. make sure you're the zimbra user. it will spawn the default editor for this shell so if you have a favorite editor before you do naything else do

Code:
    export VISUAL="nano -w"
    replace nano -w (the -w specifies no word wrap) with whatever editor you prefer . Then do

Code:
    crontab -e
    you'll then be in the editor for the zimbra crontab entry. you want to find the backup lines that will look something like this

Code:
    # BACKUP BEGIN
    0 0 * * * /opt/zimbra/bin/zmbackup -del 1m
    0 22 * * 5 /opt/zimbra/bin/zmbackup -f  -z -a all 
    0 19 * * 0-4,6 /opt/zimbra/bin/zmbackup -i -z 
    # BACKUP END
    Yours might be slightly different times, but the important thing is that -z option which tells the backups to compress. When you've added it to your full and incremental backups, exit your editor with saving and you should see a message at the prompt saying that the new crontab was installed.