Here is the result of bad planning. I am wondering if there is a way to fix this without re-building the entire mailserver.
The Postfix program
<firstname.lastname@example.org>: host gateway-s.comcast.net[184.108.40.206] said:
521-EHLO/HELO from sender 220.127.116.11 does not map to
webmail.avmax-internal.net in DNS 521-sending machine name must be provided
as a fully 521-qualified domain via EHLO/HELO command. 521-see section
18.104.22.168 and 4.1.4 of RFC 2821 521 521: Comcast requires that all mail
servers must have a PTR record with a valid Reverse DNS entry. Currently
your mailserver does not fill that requirement. For more information, refer
to: http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...aq=Email118405 (in reply to
MAIL FROM command)
This is because when I built the Zimbra box back in October 2005 as a test/trial, I configured it with an "internal" domain: avmax-internal.net that has no presence on external DNS servers.
However now that I am in love with Zimbra and am slowly weening my users off of Outlook, I have simply set up "aliase" domains, I.E.: avmax.ca and a few others.
Well one solution it so publish a DNS record for that domain. You also could use your ISP to relay mail, since the DNS records should be in place.
Other than those two, is there nothing that can be done on the "Zimbra" side? Can I re-run the upgrade procedure and change the default domain at that point? Or will that toast all my users too?
They're looking up the information on yoru server that has to be verfied through your DNS. I had the same trouble, and I'm willing to bet you can't send e-mail to AOL either.
Your best bet is to either host your own DNS, or have the records in place. Most hosting providers make it quite easy to add those record.
There may be a workaround I think. Try to set helo/ehlo in postfix conf. Then your zimbra will helo with the name you set. Of course there will be original name in message headers, but for your purpose it may be sufficient.
In /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf add this line:
smtp_helo_name = whatever.dns.name.your.need
and restart zimbra.
See postfix docs for more. Hope this will help.
I made the change and fired an e-mail off. I haven't got a reply yet but I did not get a "undeliverable" message either so at this point I am assuming it is fixed! :) :)
I love easy fixes. I owe you a couple beers for that!