Thread: Optimizing site-to-site traffic flow ideas??

andreturpin Guest

Default Optimizing site-to-site traffic flow ideas??

Good day all,

I have at Zimbra Community Edition server at each of two sites, connected to each other via VPN. Both servers have a complete installation, but the server at Site A is the LDAP master. I'd tried to configure LDAP replication before we went live a few times but couldn't get it working, but I understand the latest release has some fixed to do with LDAP replication, among other things. I do plan on upgrading the machines to latest version and enabling LDAP replication, but haven't read up on upgrading yet.

Since going live a few days ago I have people complaining about network slowness, and wondering if anyone has ideas about traffic shaping. IE-can I set how often postfix does it's queue runs or maybe use a gzipped stun tunnel between the two servers or something like that?? Any ideas?

Is anyone of the opinion that enabling LDAP replication will substantially decrease network consumption? I understand everytime a client sends a message an LDAP lookup across the VPN/WAN is performed, which wouldn't be the case with LDAP replication.

My clients are all POP3 clients primarily accessing the server on a LAN, with a handful (say 5-10?) at remote sites accessing through public IP's. There are about 3 of us that roam around between offices and use the web client part of Zimbra.

Also, I guess I should indicate, I work for an automotive dealership, and our parent company insists on managing our DNS (poorly) and so I'm stuck with two MX records of unequal priority. I had hoped to set MX records for both of my servers with equal priority to attempt to distribute a bit of traffic, realizing that DNS isn't anywhere near foolproof in this aspect. As it stands, 95-100% of mail arrives via the primary MX, and about 0-5% arrives on the second, most of which is spammer f*$&%^s trying to spam by sending to my secondary MX.

Anyway, thoughts & ideas & discussion on this very welcome.

-Andre

Hi there.... In general there shouldn't be too much traffic on the WAN even for LDAP since at least the Tomcat part of things will cache those queries. A local LDAP cache will help for postfix lookups which happen on each mail arrival. What type of Internet connection are these sites on? Were they hosting email before Zimbra?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.