Thread: All sorts of problems with Zimbra 6

Default All sorts of problems with Zimbra 6

1) Admin - when I click to add a new account and try to enter the LHS of the email address, I have to retype keys sometimes dozens of times. Sometimes the entry becomes scrambled as if the system is taking my input in random order.

2) Setting up domain admins no longer seems possible. It used to be stupid simple, now I can't figure out how this works. I tried setting up domain administrators but they have no access to anything. I've tried adding access but all they see are blank screens of info.

3) I setup a domain with 2 different account types and assigned the domain to be allowed 3 of one type and 20 of the other type. When adding new users sometimes a box pops up at the top asking me to select(radio button) from one of the 2 types. Other times I have to uncheck "auto" and type in the account type in down below. Very strange.

4) Folder Sharing. Users on the system can no longer accept shared folders. They get an email saying they've been offered to view a folder, but there's no way to accept the share.

5) With less than 100 users memory usage is still terrible. I've allocated 2560000k total RAM and see swap hitting up to 500MB after 1-2 days. Loads hover at around 1-2.5 which seems high for 2 CPU @ 1.86ghz (core 2 6300)

If I didn't know better I would think this was a beta release...

Default With less than 100 users memory usage is still terrible

Quote Originally Posted by rotorboy View Post
    1)
    5) With less than 100 users memory usage is still terrible. I've allocated 2560000k total RAM and see swap hitting up to 500MB after 1-2 days. Loads hover at around 1-2.5 which seems high for 2 CPU @ 1.86ghz (core 2 6300)
    I noticed it after active work with zimbra admin web UI on my store-logger server (multiserver install)
    Solution:
    zmloggerctl restart - if load average not decrease
    zmmailboxd restart

On any componets of mailsytem Java work correctly
    my release 6.01 ubuntu hardy x64

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rotorboy View Post
    This systems is below the recommended specifications for RAM on a production server.

Which version of Zimbra 6.x is this and which operating system? Are you running in a VM (which hypervisor)? What type of disk sub-system is in use for Zimbra, is it a RAID configuration and if so, which RAID level?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Right now I'm onto 6.0.2
    Running CentOS 5.3 (64) and yes it's running under xen.
    Currently it's the only VM on the host.
    The drives are RAID 1 mirror.

Default Folder Sharing can only be accepted in HTML webclient

Folder Shares can be accepted by the recipient - but only when they log in with the HTML webclient. So if you're like me and this is a deal breaker... there's a work around that might save you some face.

Default Adding Domain Admins - the nasty way

So at the moment, I had to learn how to manually create domain admins. It's not what I would call fun, but I think it's working.

Setup an account as an Admin from the Zimbra Administrator login, then edit them. Click the "Configure Grants". Under "Direct Grants" click "Add" and next
    select "Target Type" domain
    select "Target Name" domainname.com (use the domain the account will be allowed to manage)
    select "Right Type" and choose "System Defined Right"
    select "Right Name" and type addAccountAlias
    Then click "Add and More".

Rinse and repeat for each of the following (***may not be a complete list and/or may be more or less than you need for your domain admins).

createAccount, createAlias, createCalendarResource, createDistributionList, deleteAlias, listDomain, addAccountAlias, adminLoginAs, deleteAccount, getAccountInfo, getAccountMembership, getMailboxInfo, listAccount, purgeAccountCalendarCache, reindexMailbox, removeAccountAlias, renameAccount, setAccountPassword, viewAccountAdminUI, addDistributionListMember, deleteDistributionList, getDistributionListMembership, getDistributionListShareInfo, listDistributionList, publishDistributionListShareInfo, removeDistributionListMember, renameDistributionList, viewDistributionListAdminUI, addCalendarResourceAlias, deleteCalendarResource, getCalendarResourceShareInfo, listCalendarResource, publishCalendarResourceShareInfo, removeCalendarResourceAlias, renameCalendarResource, setCalendarResourcePassword

So far this seems to be working... although I have not fully tested it so I may have under or over done things here & there.

I don't have much problems with the domain admins, but here is what I did.

I create a distribution list in the domain, with the Admin group checkbox.

I've configured admin views for the DL the same with Account List View, Distribution List View, Alias List View, Resource List View, Saved Searches View.

Then I've added grants to the DL of the following two types:

globaltarget global domainAdminZimletAccess
    <domainname> domain domainAdminConsoleRights.

Doing this replicates the 5.* domain admins, once I added them to the DL.

However that just got me going on doing more and experimenting so then I figured out how to handout the "View Mail" button to domain admins (grant adminLoginAs using target type domain and the domain in question as the domain), allow the to see the COS settings for their COS, allow them to change certain parts of the COS (the mobile, zimlets, themes pages) and I'm now experimenting on how to delegate user restores.

Even cooler, I figured out how to let people from one domain have domain privs in a different domain, because you can grant the rights per domain, regardless in which domain the user is, allowing one admin to take care of multiple domains without logging out and back in.

Honestly once you figure out the new system it is quite powerful. If anyone wants me to take some screen shots on how I've done all of these let me know.

The only thing I wish I I could do is duplicate DL's with an easy click so I wouldn't have to do this for each subdomain by hand.

It's great to have atomic control in an environment like Zimbra, but seriously, why hasn't this been done in a more subtle fashion in 6.x?

Most environments with multi-domain configurations will want to have either a global administrator that does everything, or a per-domain administrator. So why not make this easy on us using Zimbra? Why not have a simple function to make someone "godlike" within a given domain, with all the necessary rights assigned?!

Reading a number of filed bugs, documentation, and forum posts, it strikes me as rather serious that something like this has slipped through the release filter :-(

-joho

Default Deal Breaker

I'm feeling quite let down with this system right now. It seems like it's excellent for a small business to run their own zimbra server, but not so great for a hosting provider to run many clients from one setup. Too many of these types of issues and oversites coming up making it very labor intensive to try and setup moderately sophisticated clients.