Thread: importing multiple users mailboxes

Default importing multiple users mailboxes

Hi all, I'm in the pilot stages of moving from an ancient Unix mail system with the messages stored in the mbox format into Zimbra Network v6. Most of the solutions that I've seen involve use of imapsync and require that the admin know the users passwords.
    I can take the old mail system down and change everyone's password to a single known password, do the sync, then change them back, but that seems a bit archaic.
    Is there some way that I could just directly import the users mailboxes from mbox into Zimbra. The directory structure is users/mailboxes/submailboxes so I can associate the Zimbra user to the mbox based on the directory structure.
    Just seems that imapsync is a large, slow, extra step that I would like to avoid if possible.
    Thanks!
    TomL

Have you taken a look at Mail Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki? That linked section deals specifically with mbox migration.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    Have you taken a look at Mail Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki? That linked section deals specifically with mbox migration.
    Yeah, I looked at the mail2maildir script but it has a number of issues that I don't want to deal with.
    1) It has too liberal of a parsing structure to separate mail messages. Just using "^From " will pick up false positives from inside of the mail message and not just the header. I've already fought that battle with the Unix 'split -m' command.
    2) It only operates on one mbox file at a time and doesn't preserve the directory/folder structure. My goal is to keep the same structure (possibly including sub folders) for the users remote folders.

I think I'll just go ahead and prototype with the imapsync path. I was just hoping there was a way that I could directly import the mailboxes and not trash my imap server in the process
    Thanks!
    TomL

I was thinking something more along the lines of Mbox to maildir with Python - Zimbra :: Wiki which as far as I can tell supports folder structures.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    I was thinking something more along the lines of Mbox to maildir with Python - Zimbra :: Wiki which as far as I can tell supports folder structures.
    May have to try that. imapsync is taking a long time on my (large) test folder collection. All told, I need to move about 500GB of mail into Zimbra and at the current rate, it's going to take many, many days.

OK, plan B...
    Thanks!
    TomL

OK, I've taken a look at the python mbox->imap on the wiki page as well as the mb2md.pl script that converted a mbox formatted file to a maildir.
    Neither of those scripts allow for a mailbox that has a period character in it (they convert it to an underscore char).
    I see that Zimbra will allow me to create (via the GUI) a mailbox with a period in it but it there any way to create this from a script???

Also, is there any documentation on the zmmailbox command that gives anything more then the help message? Specifically, it doesn't describe the possible formats for the mailboxes in the addMessage command.
    TomL