Thread: Multidomains question

Question Multidomains question

Hello all,
    Still in test processing, I got some issue with multidomain ...
    With the first one (i.e. mydomain.com created during installation), no problem : users can log on the webmail with account "user1" and in thunderbird UserName is "user1" too. Ok.
    But with a second domain created, under.mydomain.com, account logging information is "users2@under.mydomain.com" and not only "users2". It is not very important for the webmail access but in thunderbird it is : User Name must be "users2@under.mydomain.com" and I don't want to reconfigure one by one all mail clients ...
    Is it "normal" using multidomains or I doing something wrong ?
    Thanks in advance for yous answer.

Quote Originally Posted by lalas
    Hello all,
    Still in test processing, I got some issue with multidomain ...
    With the first one (i.e. mydomain.com created during installation), no problem : users can log on the webmail with account "user1" and in thunderbird UserName is "user1" too. Ok.
    But with a second domain created, under.mydomain.com, account logging information is "users2@under.mydomain.com" and not only "users2". It is not very important for the webmail access but in thunderbird it is : User Name must be "users2@under.mydomain.com" and I don't want to reconfigure one by one all mail clients ...
    Is it "normal" using multidomains or I doing something wrong ?
    Thanks in advance for yous answer.
    Well I have experienced the same thing so at least you are not alone. My fix was "tough love", so hopefully someone will have a better solution for you than that :-)

One word of advice though, think twice before going from "test phase" to "production phase" with the same install, if the default domain you installed your test Zimbra with is not your true default domian. It does create a few small annoyances that will need to be delt with. I built a test zimbra server back in October and used a test.domain during the build and I do regret, from time to time, massaging that one into a prod machine rather than starting with a fresh build once I decided to keep Zimbra.

Cheers,

Travis

Today you can only have one default domain for IMAP (and POP, etc). For the web client we can use a virtual host like domain1.host.com and domain2.host.com to allow multiple domains to act as if they are the default. It's likely we could do something similar for IMAP/POP in the future.. Please file this request in bugzilla.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

One word of advice though, think twice before going from "test phase" to "production phase" with the same install, if the default domain you installed your test Zimbra with is not your true default domian. It does create a few small annoyances that will need to be delt with. I built a test zimbra server back in October and used a test.domain during the build and I do regret, from time to time, massaging that one into a prod machine rather than starting with a fresh build once I decided to keep Zimbra.
    Thanks for the advice! No problem for that, at this time, I'm not on the futur production server.

Today you can only have one default domain for IMAP (and POP, etc). For the web client we can use a virtual host like domain1.host.com and domain2.host.com to allow multiple domains to act as if they are the default. It's likely we could do something similar for IMAP/POP in the future.. Please file this request in bugzilla.
    Request is done. Will this feature be added in 3.2 release ?

Quote Originally Posted by lalas
    Request is done. Will this feature be added in 3.2 release ?

I doubt it. We are already in the testing/QA phase.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

There is another solution: you can use Perdition to map an account coming without domain to the real one with the domain specified. Something like "user1 ----> user1@domain.tld" .
    However is not possible to have 2 different users with the same account without specifying the domain.

Yep you can use perdition if you have a single name space, but in most cases people want a name space per domain.

Thanks a lot for your answers. I'm going to try Perdition soon.
    Last edited by lalas; 06-29-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    I doubt it. We are already in the testing/QA phase.
    I know this is a really old post but was this ever put into ZCS? I have 3 virtual domains now, I can use a URL for each one and they can log in with just their name and not domain at the end. BUT, if they try to login with pop3 or imap, only people on the default domain can log in with just their username. Everyone else has to use username@domain.com. You would think that with virtual domains that the mail server name in outlook or thunderbird would work just like the virtual hosts with URL's. I want to be able for the users connecting via POP3 or IMAP to just enter their username and not @domain.com appended to the end. Can this be done? I'm running version 5.05. Thanks guys.

I have just run into this issue with 8.02 GA, is there any new configuration to allow IMAP to support the virtual domains? I have same users in default and 2 virtual, if they choose IMAP in a local client (versus web client), they only get the default domains email....

EDIT - I think I found it - just use the full user name not short (i.e. user@xxx.com versus user).
    Last edited by cwall64; 01-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 NETWORK edition