Thread: Log File Sizes

Default Log File Sizes

Hi,

Our file system is filling up and it turns out that some of the log files (/opt/zimbra/log) are quite large. For example, the mailbox.log files can reach upwards of a gig and the convertd.log files are 300+ megs.

Zimbra rotates these files by date, but is there a way to also compress them? I'm not sure if logrotate is an option. Adding an entry for 'mailbox.log' I don't believe will compress the logs that have dates appended to the end of the file names. Using a wild card, such as 'mailbox.log*' will rotate previously rotated files.

How do you handle this?

Thanks.

Zimbra uses logrotate to handle it's logs, as I think you have seen. So all you need to do is configure logrotate to compress the logs. The configuration for Zimbra's logs is handled in /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra. If the compression is already setup in the general configuration (it generally is) then you just need to add "compress" to each logs options.

Thanks for the response. What's odd is that logrotate runs every night at 4am; however, the Zimbra log files are rotated at midnight. Also, it doesn't seem that logrotate is invovled with appending the date to the end of the rotated file names. I take it there's another component involved?

Woops yea, forgot that there is a second logrotate config file located at /opt/zimbra/conf/zmlogrotate

I had issues as well with the settings being in two different places... took a bit to find that.

Nice, thanks. I also found that Zimbra is using log4j, which is configured in /opt/zimbra/conf/log4j.properties. By the way, do you know what script is kicking off at midnight that's incorporating /opt/zimbra/conf/zmlogrotate?

EDIT: I think /opt/zimbra/conf/zmlogrotate isn't being read; instead, it was just copied to /etc/logrotate.d directory and is being called by the regular logrotate cron job. And it's log4j that's running at midnight. Is it just me or is Zimbra convoluted?
    Last edited by That Guy from that Place; 11-18-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Not a clue sorry, try looking in the daily cron tasks (/etc/cron.daily) and the zimbra user's crontab (crontab -e u zimbra).

Was poking around for something else today and found a "600.zimbra" file in /opt/zimbra/libexec. Bizarrely enough this file looks to be some sort of log rotater?!

From the name I thought it might be a remnant from 6.0.0, but I have no idea now... does this return anything for you?
    Code:
    grep Rotating /opt/zimbra/libexec/*

zmlocalconfig has mailboxd_output_rotate_interval = 86400
    set for 24 hrs.