Thread: Feature Question

Default Feature Question

We are seriously considering purchsing Zimbra as the mail horse.

(1) Is ZIMBRA very stable even on Fedora distro or should you recommend only enterprise edition like redhat.

(2) This is basic question. Considering the nature of our business we want this feature. Does zimbra provide provisions for disabling the attachement to all outward mails except to select addresses of our company domain. Basically the mail should travel outside but without attachment. In the same way the mail communication is only (for all outwards) between selective mail domains and addresses . Rest all should be blocked. However all incoming attachements should be allowed.

(3) Project specific mails should be stored (uploaded to backup server say CM tools)specifically in a secure folder in case of any disaster.(say mails with some Project ID code as subject). I know this can be done at lotus notes. Also at the time of completion of project we would like to store the mails in Knowlwedge base. Is there any way to export those mails in any other format say txt etc. which other programs in knowledge base can search.

(4) Is there any statistics to display when the particular mails are checked and replied ( To get the responsive time) instead of writing scripts as we do in lotus notes.

(5) Activity time of composing the mail. Say the wall clock time per mail etc.

(3) The mail can be accessed from outside the company domain while travelling (This anyhow is a prettty basic feature i am sue you must be having it.) But only to select mail accounts. Rest al should nto be able to access mails from any domain other than company domain.

Please answer this or provide us the basic extensive feature list mailed or provide us pointer where we can study ourself. We would have more questions coming up!!!
    Last edited by david_tuckar; 06-24-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by david_tuckar
    We are seriously considering purchsing Zimbra as the mail horse.
    Zimbra is a fastastic and quickly developing application. Having had to deal with the "features" of Lotus Notes and the quirks of Kerio and exchange for years, I am excited by a product like Zimbra

(1) Is ZIMBRA very stable even on Fedora distro or should you recommend only enterprise edition like redhat.
    I would say for an enterprise install you would want to run on a supported OS, it is always nice to have the backup support of RedHat or OS X if you need. In fact the Network Edition, only runs (currently) on RHEL 4 and Mac OS X.

(2) This is basic question. Considering the nature of our business we want this feature. Does zimbra provide provisions for disabling the attachement to all outward mails except to select addresses of our company domain. Basically the mail should travel outside but without attachment. In the same way the mail communication is only (for all outwards) between selective mail domains and addresses . Rest all should be blocked. However all incoming attachements should be allowed.
    You will want to grab the documentation at: http://zimbra.com/products/documentation.html and poke around a bit. I don't specifically see anything about disabling attachments, but I suppose it might be possible in the postfix configuration.

(3) Project specific mails should be stored (uploaded to backup server say CM tools)specifically in a secure folder in case of any disaster.(say mails with some Project ID code as subject). I know this can be done at lotus notes. Also at the time of completion of project we would like to store the mails in Knowlwedge base. Is there any way to export those mails in any other format say txt etc. which other programs in knowledge base can search.

(4) Is there any statistics to display when the particular mails are checked and replied ( To get the responsive time) instead of writing scripts as we do in lotus notes.

(5) Activity time of composing the mail. Say the wall clock time per mail etc.

(3) The mail can be accessed from outside the company domain while travelling (This anyhow is a prettty basic feature i am sue you must be having it.) But only to select mail accounts. Rest al should nto be able to access mails from any domain other than company domain.

Please answer this or provide us the basic extensive feature list mailed or provide us pointer where we can study ourself. We would have more questions coming up!!!
    I would suggest signing up for a time demo of the Network Edition and putting it through your own local testing. Some of the things you are looking for can be done with some development work and tweaks. The amazing part of Zimbra is that the license allows you to do such things. Obviously you need to watch out for upgrades and such (as with any customization to COTS software).

Greg