Thread: ZimbraLdapContext Error

Default ZimbraLdapContext Error

Hi!

Yesterday I tried to backup my zimbra server without stopping it.
    Simple steps:
    1- I did an image with clonezila (after creating the users)
    2- Send some emails, create some contacts and some meetings (just to test)
    3- Backup the folder /opt/zimbra/store and the mysql database with the software Mysql Administrator
    4- "Crash it" (or simply restore you harddrive with clonezila's image)
    5- After restoring, delete the folder /opt/zimbra/store and replace it with your backup that should be daily (or whatever you want)
    6- Restore the mysql database using the software Mysql Administrator (this must be after the step 5)
    I was happy to see that I could see my mails contacts and calendar. The problem was when I tried to send/receive mails...it was not possible and now I can't see my mails because I get the following error:

method: GetMsgRequest
    msg: system failure: ZimbraLdapContext
    code: service.FAILURE
    detail: soap:Receiver
    Other problem is that the Moderator bdial (special thanks to him) told my that I should backup my ldap database with the command:

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmslapcat /path/to/ldap/backup/dir
    I got 2 files: ldap.bak and ldap.bak.date_and_hour, but I don't know how to restore this

thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ruben.mourinho View Post
    Simple steps:

I was happy to see that I could see my mails contacts and calendar. The problem was when I tried to send/receive mails...it was not possible and now I can't see my mails because I get the following error:
    You're surprised that you have a problem with a restore after backing up a running server? It's been discussed many times in these forums, you need to stop the server to ensure that it's in a consistent state and you've already been given pointers on how to do that in your last thread. If you don't stop the server then there's no guarantee you will be able to restore anything to a workable state. If this is for a Disaster Recovery then you really need to backup the /opt/zimbra directory, please read some of the articles in the forums and wiki that cover this scenario.

Please update your forum profile with the output of the following command (don't post it in this thread):

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You're surprised that you have a problem with a restore after backing up a running server? It's been discussed many times in these forums, you need to stop the server to ensure that it's in a consistent state and you've already been given pointers on how to do that in your last thread. If you don't stop the server then there's no guarantee you will be able to restore anything to a workable state. If this is for a Disaster Recovery then you really need to backup the /opt/zimbra directory, please read some of the articles in the forums and wiki that cover this scenario.

Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    I'm surely more surprised that you are a forum moderator and you answer people that way. You could be more useful if you tell me how to backup/restore the ldap database...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'm surely more surprised that you are a forum moderator and you answer people that way.
    Instead of making peurile comments, try following the instruction I gave above.

You could be more useful if you tell me how to backup/restore the ldap database...
    You could be more useful if you updated your forum profile (so we know which version of Zimbra you're using) so we don't have to keep asking each time you start a new thread. If you took the effort to search the forums and the wiki as I've suggested you'll see that for a Disaster Recovery you'll need to backup the /opt/zimbra directory. If you don't believe me then, as I've suggested, search the forums for confirmation.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Instead of making peurile comments, try following the instruction I gave above.

You could be more useful if you updated your forum profile (so we know which version of Zimbra you're using) so we don't have to keep asking each time you start a new thread. If you took the effort to search the forums and the wiki as I've suggested you'll see that for a Disaster Recovery you'll need to backup the /opt/zimbra directory. If you don't believe me then, as I've suggested, search the forums for confirmation.
    I can't post my zimbra version because my server is restoring because the ldap is crashed because you don't tell me how to backup/restore my ldap db

Hi!

I am hoping for your sake that you took a real, complete, backup before attempting this so you can restore your server to a working state?

If not... you have probably ruined your install attempting this. As phoenix said, you MUST stop your server to perform a backup.

As for your LDAP restore issue, a simple search should have provided you with slapadd(8): Add entries to SLAPD database - Linux man page, but I doubt that is the only problem you have with this "restored" system.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    I am hoping for your sake that you took a real, complete, backup before attempting this so you can restore your server to a working state?

If not... you have probably ruined your install attempting this. As phoenix said, you MUST stop your server to perform a backup.

As for your LDAP restore issue, a simple search should have provided you with slapadd(8): Add entries to SLAPD database - Linux man page, but I doubt that is the only problem you have with this "restored" system.
    Thanks for the ldap tip now it works!

If you have an image, you backup your mysql, your store (only folder) and your ldap database you don't have to stop the server (I did the test).