Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milter-reject

Default Milter-reject

Hello Community!!
    We are experiencing the following error on our server. One client is trying to send over mail, but the mails are not even received by the server. When we inspected the logs we get the following errors:

Sep 22 04:15:39 mail postfix/smtpd[29208]: connect from mail.client.com[x.x.x.x]
    Sep 22 04:15:39 mail postfix/smtpd[29208]: warning: milter inet:127.0.0.1:10027: can't read SMFIC_UNKNOWN reply packet header: Success
    Sep 22 04:15:39 mail postfix/smtpd[29208]: NOQUEUE: milter-reject: UNKNOWN from mail.client.com[x.x.x.x]: 451 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later; proto=SMTP

Anybody had this issue before?? Please any howto on solving this???

Thanks in advance!!!
    Netnovation...using Zimbra since 2005

From reading up on the error my guess would be that the "mail client" they are attempting to use is improperly configured, or just doesn't work.

According to Mailing List Archive - postfix-users : Re: SMFIC_UNKNOWN reply packet header this comes when a command other then the standard commands (EHLO, RCPT and the like) is received from the client.

Default Then the problem is from the mailclient?

Hi Arcane,
    Thanks for your quick reply. The the problem is the mail cliente from which they are sending the mail??? They sent me over the following email which they got after failing to send an email to our server:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.client.com

X-Postfix-Queue-ID: DA3B83C2F8035

X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; user1@client.com

Arrival-Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:06:48 -0400 (VET)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; userx@ourserver.com

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host mail.ourserver.com[x.x.x.x] said: 451 4.7.1

Service unavailable - try again later (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

We have not changed the any parameters on the server to have this problem, so I really don't understand why this is happening.

Again thanks in advance for the help!!

What email client were they using? Did the client send the message directly to you or did the message come from their server? If it came from their server, do you know what type of server it is?

Default I think that...

I'm not really sure at this moment what is their mail system. I think it is Lotus but I'm going to ask them. I'll be posting this in my next response, but for the moment, I think it is Lotus.

Thanks!!

Default The mailserver is....

Yes I have confirmed that the mailserver they are using is Lotus, and the mailclient of the users is Lotus and Outlook (some of them). I hope this helps!!

Thanks!!

Default Update

Well, we did some test today. We told the client to send over some mails, to our server and to other Zimbra server we have for testing. The weird thing is that the test server received the emails, and our server did not. Still the same problem, milter-reject. Again thanks in advance for your help.

Ask their tech team to try telneting to your server on port 25 and manually put a plain text email through.

Default We are doing the test

Thanks for the replys, we are at the moment doing the tests, I'll be posting over the results as soon as we get them.

Default Test done

Hi All!!!
    Sorry for the delay on the test results. We could do the telneting and the mail was sent over inside the server, but when you do that simply you're sending an internal mail inside our server.

Just a quick note, the error is received on our server when the client is sending over mail from their server (which is outside our network - see mailserver.outside.com). So we are getting the error the following way:

Sep 22 04:15:39 mail postfix/smtpd[29208]: connect from mailserver.outside.com[x.x.x.x]
    Sep 22 04:15:39 mail postfix/smtpd[29208]: warning: milter inet:127.0.0.1:10027: can't read SMFIC_UNKNOWN reply packet header: Success
    Sep 22 04:15:39 mail postfix/smtpd[29208]: NOQUEUE: milter-reject: UNKNOWN from mailserver.outside.com[x.x.x.x]: 451 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later; proto=SMTP

Again any help is appreciated.

Regards,
    E.