Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail journaling database feature

Default difference between ZAD and LI

Hi Guys,

Do we have Mail journaling database feature in Zimbra which is avalible in Domino and Exchange ?

Thanks
    Last edited by chandu; 12-23-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Yes, in Zimbra it is called the redolog and is located in /opt/zimbra/redolog.

Thanks for reply.

I couldnt find out any details about redolog concept in our admin manual.
    Is there any link where I can get how to configure / use redolog in open source zimbra edition ?
    As per zimbra wiki redolog contains current transaction logs for zimbra server...when I checked /opt/zimbra/redolog/redo.log ...its not in readable format...and /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive folder is empty.

So please suggest.

Thanks
    Last edited by chandu; 12-03-2009 at 11:32 PM.

On FOSS zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover is set to TRUE. Your welcome to change this, as long as you regular empty out the redolog/archive directory since there's no zmbackup to roll those into incrementals. (NE uses these to provide the ability to restore the server down to the second of your choosing.)

On server start the primary redo.log is looked at for any uncommited transactions.

Several large customers actually use it for fast DR (keeping them in sync on another machine see zmplayredo) we plan to make this easier for the typical admin to setup in Bug 11423 - disaster recovery through server to server sync (beta)

As you noted except for occasional chunks of email bodies, most of that redolog isn't human readable - if you want to see what's going on there's various levels of logging - but since Domino/Exchange also use that term to mean features related to 'archiving' in some places, here's what you can do in Zimbra:

Note these first two options (forwards/BCC) can bounce and reveal themselves if the account being forwarded to is unavailable/down/closed (Zimbra's maintenance mode queue's mail at MTA, while locked/lockout still delivers mail).

always_bcc > all users in/out
    - http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/8659-enhancement-hacks-power-filters-always_bcc.html

recipient_bcc_maps & sender_bcc_maps > per user in/out
    - http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...html#post58005
    - http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...html#post71525

legal intercept > web-client per user in/out via new envelope
    -Can be used to catch 'drafts'.
    -IMAP/POP/SMTP sends are not included, it's intended for web-client monitoring only.
    -Will eventually be extended to chats: Bug 21761 - Legal intercept support: IM
    -Legal Intercept - Zimbra :: Wiki

ZAD (Zimbra Archiving & Discovery w/ Cross Mailbox Search) > covers all SMTP & web-client in/out via envelope expansion, with other features planned.
    -Add-on that forks mail to archive accounts.
    -Archives can exist on your server or an external system - though you don't benefit from single instance storage/x-mailbox search if using external non-Zimbra server. (An external ZCS server can have some benefit, but you'll have at least 2 copies.)
    -Upcoming: Bug 12697 - Other collaboration data (IM, Docs, Calendars) need to be archived
    -Zimbra Archiving and Discovery Whitepaper.pdf
    -Zimbra Archiving and Discovery Release Notes.pdf
    (The add-on is now bundled in NE for easier setup - note that each archive mailbox you create uses a license count of course, so your given the option of purchasing additional mailboxes for archiving at a reduced cost.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 12-03-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all these details which are very useful.

I have gone through below link :

Legal Intercept - Zimbra :: Wiki

And as per link its only useful for zimbra web interface...and not compatible for outgoing mails if we use IMAP / POP / SMTP protocols.

Is this legal intercept feature compatible with Open source zimbra edition ? And can we have update on current status of Bug # 30232 ?

Bug 30232 – Legal Intercept doesn't work for _sent_ emails if you use IMAP/POP3/SMTP

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have below question regarding LI feature. I searched in forum and internet but couldnt get confirmed details:

1. Is this feature compatible with zimbra open source edition ?

2. Can we redirect mail ommunication more than one zimbra intercept mail IDs at a time ?

Means can we configure multiple zimbra intercept IDs ?

3. Is it transparent to end user ?

4. Can we setup LI admin console who can configure intercepts as per requirement ?

5. Can we monitor message body and deleted mails?

Please help.

Thanks

Default Zimbra LI and ZAD

Hi Guys,

I have installed zimbra network edition with ZAD to understand how it work as our customer is asking for it.

I have below two main concerns :

1. Can we have "Search Mail" console different than Admin console? Means Can we provide access only for "Search MAil" option under Admin console for Legal Intercept admin ??

2. When i performed any query in "Search Mail" by using ZAD..its giving me option for one time search...Is there any possibility for real time monitoring ??
    Means if I create one query ...it should run 24 x 7 and redirect the result to respective ID oncde it capture output....

Please help.

Default Zimbra LI and ZAD

Hi Guys,

My first question got resolved...i made legal ID as global administrator and only allowed "cross mailbox search" under admin view and i got desired output....

Can anyone please tell me how can we set query for real time monitoring for mailboxes...???

Thanks

Default Difference between ZAD and LI

Hi Guys,

For testing purpose, I have intercepted all test IDs and those were getting stored in one of the mailbox which is legal admin's account. And I configured certain filters for real time monitoring through ZWC for this account and i got desired output....

Well I found legal intercept is avalible in zimbra open source edition also....

I have very basic query...may be it is stupid question but please reply...

What is the key difference between LI and ZAD functionality ?

both are forwarding incoming / outgoing mails to another account means we can use LI as a archival + discovery solution ( by using filters).....

Please correct me if I am wrong or confirm...

Thanks