Thread: outofoffice not sent (not direct)

Default outofoffice not sent (not direct)

So i just found out that my users's away messages aren't going out-

here's what the logs say when my user gets an email:

2006-06-30 17:32:57,812 INFO [LmtpServer-1] [name=username@mail03.domain.com;] mailbox - outofoffice not sent (not direct) mid=7240 rcpt='username@mail03.domain.com' dest='qb-billpay-errors@billpay.ctcfe.quickbooks.com'

as you can see, i have 3 main email servers. They are all fed email by a team of 3 email gateways. The email gateways run postfix, each with a clustered mysql backend. All outgoing email is sent thru these gateways, and all inbound and crossbound (mail from mail01 to mail03..) goes thru these gateways.

just an update, i've seen this bug:
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3270

but these two cases don't really apply to me?

i'm running exchange, i send an message to to user@domain.com, my email server passes to my postfix gateways, they re-write the address to user@mail3.domain.com, then passes to to the zimbra server.

When i send a message from a zimbra user to another zimbra user, out of office works as expected.

So! i just wanted to make sure that i'm not retarded here before i submit a bug report- what do you guys think?

ok off to bugland it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by robbyt
    ok off to bugland it goes!
    so i opened this snafu as:
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8802

but i forgot to uncheck the "make private" box! crap

anyhow, here's what my bug report looks like:

Where no matter what i do, i away messages aren't sent, and ""outofoffice not sent (not direct)" is written in the logs.

The away message has been set on a brand new account, never received email before, and i'm still getting the error message in the logs.

When i connect to smtp via telnet and write a manual email to a new user, i get the same message written in the logs.

I also did a manual telnet email drop from an outside
    computer directly into the SMTP server on my zimbra machine. I watched the logs on the zimbra server and saw the same mis-behavior. So my conclusion is that it's not related to the email gateways, and it's some sort of problem with my zimbra server. It thinks that every message it marks as "outofoffice not sent (not direct)"

any advice on this?
    I don't even know where to start looking for how zimbra decides that email it's receiving is "not direct"

is there no domain masqerading on the zimbra box itself? are all users@domain.com on zimbra? what domains are on zimbra ("zmprov gad")?

Quote Originally Posted by bobby
    is there no domain masqerading on the zimbra box itself? are all users@domain.com on zimbra? what domains are on zimbra ("zmprov gad")?

Hey I updated the bug, the problem is that zimbra only examines the headers and not the envelope for the recipient's address.

The split domain howto on the wiki sort of addresses my configuration... but i'm not using a transport to redirect the email from my gateway.

I route email on my gateway based on postfix's virtual alias rewriting. so the gateway gets messages as user@domain.com does a database lookup to see what it should do, and then rewrites the message to user@mailserver.domain.com and routes it out to the right backend server based on a DNS lookup.

I assume that this configuration is somewhat standard? Is there a way to get my gateways to also rewrite the headers? Isn't that sort of breaking some sort of email rules?

Is there a way to get zimbra to recognize user@domain.com and user@server.domain.com as valid for a user?

juuust to keep this thread alive, i've posted a enhancement request in relation to the problem I'm having.

I'm curious if people think i'm crazy? Is this the correct way to configure email gateways?

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9196

Quote Originally Posted by bobby
    is there no domain masquerading on the zimbra box itself? are all users@domain.com on zimbra? what domains are on zimbra ("zmprov gad")?

just to clarify my configuration. The only domain in zimbra land is srvmail03.domain.com. All zimbra users exist under that domain. My exchange server is srvmail01.domain.com.

I've thought about adding just Domain.com to my zimbra list of domains, then adding an alias to everyone's account, and setting up the catchall/forward that's explained in the wiki... doing that seems like a bit of a hack though right?

So i created a enhancement request bug for this one...

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9196

i'm curious what people out there think? I'm i fscking crazy? Is my email routing configuration the wrong way to do things? Should I be doing something else???