Thread: zcs 6.02 cpu usage - what's considered normal?

Hybrid View

Default zcs 6.02 cpu usage - what's considered normal?

I recently upgraded to ZCS 6.0.2 from 5.0.18... I remember ZCS 5 using about 15% of the CPU when idle. ZCS 6 uses about 25%...

Is this normal? and is there any thing I can do to trim that down a little? As it is I've turned off Anti-virus, spam and the logger to see if I could narrow usage down a bit and that doesn't seem to have made any difference. According to top the java server process seems to explode to 100% cpu, every 4 or 5 seconds.

The java processes are indeed quite intensive, the email server is doing quite a lot of work.

It's hard to say if 25% is normal without knowing 25% of what? Plus, if depends on system usage. If you have ten thousand user accounts running on a 486, then 25% is looking pretty good

This is running on a VPS, so system info is reporting 8 CPUs. According to their FAQs if machine load is low, you get access to all CPUs. Which would be about right, since my graphs are showing my installation as using 25% of total host load. Only when the overall host load reaches a certain threshold are processes scaled back.

As for mail, this is a fresh install and I haven't switched anyone over yet - so it's still just me working out the kinks. Maybe 150 emails a day.

The only reason I ask is because the same scenario in 5.0.18 was using about 13% CPU. I was hoping perhaps that there was a way to trim that down.... but I've turned off spam, virus and logger services and I'm still idling at 25%...

Thanks for the reply...

In my experience CPU load has been cut back dramatically between 6.0.2 and 6.0.4. CPU usage was at its peak in 6.0.0/6.0.1, increasing with about 50% from 5.x on our test rigs.
    Snelbij | Uw informatie ter beschikking.
    https://www.snelbij.nl

Thanks for the reply... I just pushed the version up to 6.0.4, didn't know that had gotten released. Hopefully that will make some difference.