Thread: [SOLVED] Adding Items to GAL

Default [SOLVED] Adding Items to GAL

I want to have a global address book or global contacts in ZCS CE edition.
    How do I accomplish that ?
    I see and have read in the help about GAL but nowhere does it show how to get contact info into it.

thanks in advance.

Default Adding Items to Global Address Book

Nobody using Global address book ??
    Maybe I'm not explaining right.
    Zimbra says it can have Global Contacts.
    This implies that any contacts stored globally should be accessible to any user on the system. Yes, providing you enable the feature to search global contacts as well.

Anyhow, how does contact information make it to the global area ?
    So more formally, how does one enter info into the Global address book or GAL as I've read about.

I'm running the free edition on ubuntu 804 LTS

TIA

AFAIK, when you create a user for one of your domains, it becomes available in the GAL. But there's no option when you create a contact in your own address book to add it to the GAL...

Default Adding Items to GAL

Below is from the 604 help. They don't say how to import into the GAL..
    Clearly their must be a way to create a running GAL that everyone on the server can use ? right ?

Types of address books available
    ----------------------------------
    Two types of address lists are supported in the Web Client.

* Your personal address books, which consists of contacts you maintain. A Contacts and an Emailed Contacts address book are the default address books.
    * A Global Address List (GAL), sometimes called Company Contacts, is available to users within your organization. The GAL may contain convenience features such as distribution lists to facilitate communicating with an entire department.

You cannot edit GAL entries. You can, however, import an address once it appears in email you send or received. You can add additional contact information when the name is in a list in your Address Book.

Default Adding Items To GAL - A Workaround

I just wanted a global contact list for all users on a zimbra server. This, GAL, contains all email addresses that folks send to as well as contacts folks on the server created. Again, it's a workaround since nobody knows how to add items to zimbra's GAL.

As the techsupport user on the zimbra server I did the following:

- setup under techsupport and share to all zimbra users a shared address book called CompanyGAL.

- each user from within their account then accepts the shared addressbook via their preference share area.

- each user then contributes their contacts and emailed contacts via drag-n-drop into CompanyGAL shared address book to populate it.

- users can define distribution list using contacts in CompanyGAL by going into that address book and defining a "contact group". Save it in the same CompanyGAL shared address book and it will be accessible to all users on the zimbra server.

This was my way of implementing a company directory if you will. Sure it's community style but that's the version I am running, ZCE 6.0.4

I'm still amazed noboy knows how to add entries to the GAL zimbra maintains. That would be the most appropriate way to establish a company address book.

Quote Originally Posted by spectra View Post
    I'm still amazed noboy knows how to add entries to the GAL zimbra maintains. That would be the most appropriate way to establish a company address book.
    Well, actually most people know how to do that: Add users to your daomain

I know thatīs not what you meant or wanted, but thatīs way it goes.

Your solution is what most people do to have something near from what you would expect from a Global (non-internal only) Address List