Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] 6.0.4 IMAP: Cannot copy mail to sent folder

Looks like this issue is a duplicate of bug number 43359, which was resolved and closed on 12/10/2009 (?).

I then checked the PM tool, and bug neither bug 43359 or bug 43669 have been added to a future release.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there is a hotfix forthcoming....

QWade

Thumbs down

Just got feedback from Zimbra Support:

Unfortunately there is no hotfix available for this bug. The bug has been fixed and the fix is going to be available in ZCS 6.0.5.

As we do not know the release date for ZCS 6.0.5 I cannot assure you any time frame but we expect it soon.
    :-((

Regards

Andreas

... since there's no help from Zimbra support yet I digged into the sourcecode and checked out what was causing this error. Bug 43669 has been marked as a duplicate of Bug 43359. I checked this bug out and found a workaround.

The incorrect behaviour is triggered by Zimbra Message Store Blob compression not getting the correct message size to decide wether or not to compress it.

Since we do not know a date for 6.0.5 I tried to determine a workaround and finally found a solution to avoid this error:

Blob Compression is enabled by default for each message store and is been triggered by a treshold > 8kByte. So either disabling Blob compression or setting the blob compression treshold to a higher value is a temporary fix for this error.

Disabling blob compression can be done by

Code:
    zmvolume --name message1 --id 1 --edit --compress false
    Do a zmvolume --list first to detect the correct values for --name and --id.

It should be safe to enable / disable Blob compression if disk space is not a major concern. The setting is being applied in the fly so there is no need to restart servers or services.

At least this works for me. I hope this will help others too to get IMAP back to work until 6.0.5 is out.

Regards

Andreas
    Last edited by FritzBrause; 01-06-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FritzBrause View Post
    ... since there's no help from Zimbra support yet I digged into the sourcecode
    Thansk for the work FritzBrause, I've applied your workaround and things are working again.

Where do we send out next cheque for Zimbra support? (j/k).

Thumbs down

It should be safe to enable / disable Blob compression if disk space is not a major concern. The setting is being applied in the fly so there is no need to restart servers or services.
    I have a question: if we disable compression now and reenable it when the bug is formally fixed, will enabling compression retroactively compress data that's currently uncompressed?

Thanks for this, by the way. I just tried it and it seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by psarhjinian View Post
    I have a question: if we disable compression now and reenable it when the bug is formally fixed, will enabling compression retroactively compress data that's currently uncompressed?
    Blob compression is being done on demand. I you disable Blob compression all new data wil be stored as uncompressed data. When you re-enable compression existing blobs aren't touched but all new data exeeding "compressionThreshold" (4k default) will be stored as compressed Blob again.

If you want to re-compress all existing data on a message store there are several ways to do this. e.g. moving the Message store by enabling HSM.
    There's also a bug / feature request Bug 35143 – blob compress and decompress tool

Regards

Andreas

... just checked with one server upgraded to 6.0.5: Blob compression enabled again an no issues with IMAP / Attachments so far. Everything is working like a charm.

... just checked with one server upgraded to 6.0.5: Blob compression enabled again an no issues with IMAP / Attachments so far. Everything is working like a charm.
    Agreed - everything is working smoothly again.