We are having the same problem now on 6.0.4 64bit FOSS RHEL5. It worked fine with 5.0.18 64bit FOSS RHEL5.
Right now we are showing the original message and extracting the winmail.dat portion, running it through a Base64 decoder ( Base64 Decoder ) , and using Winmail Reader to view it. ( Winmail.dat Reader - Free winmail.dat converter to open files sent by Outlook and Outlook Express )
Same problem here after upgrading to 6.0.4.
For now, ask the sender to send the e-mail with the attachement as plain text.
How to change in outlook?
First make sure your global setting is set to use Plain Text or HTML:
1. In Outlook, select Tools > Options.
2. The Options dialog box appears. Select the Mail Format tab.
3. Under the Message Format heading, change Compose in this message format to Plain Text or HTML.
4. Click OK.
Next, make sure that the user who received the winmail.dat file is set for Plain Text or HTML messages:
1. If the user is in the Senderís contacts:
2. In Outlook, open the Contacts folder.
3. Open the record of the person who receives winmail.dat attachments.
4. Double click the receiver's email address.
5. The Email Properties dialog box will appear. Change Internet format to Let Outlook decide the best sending format. This will cause Outlook to use the global setting.
6. Click OK.
If the user is not in the Senderís contacts:
1. In Outlook, create a new message.
2. In the To field type in the email address of the user receiving the winmail.dat attachments, then hit the tab key. If Outlook doesnít automatically put a black underline under the name, click the Check Names button.
3. Double click the receiver's email address.
4. The Email Properties dialog box will appear. Change Internet format to Let Outlook decide the best sending format. This will cause Outlook to use the global setting.
5. Click OK.
Happening more often
This is happening on every 6.04 server I have deployed right now. Is there anything we can do on the server side to work around this issue. Whats strange is that it happens sometimes to specific users. One message went to 3 people on the same server and 2 of them could open it fine. On user couldn't.
Details in the bug report I mentioned earlier in this thread and the Product Portal.
Originally Posted by andydread
Bill, I see in the bug report that this is fixed in 6.0.6. Do you have an anticipated date for the release of 6.0.6? We'd like to set our users' expectations.
Originally Posted by phoenix
You'll always find the targeted release dates in the product port via the link in my last post but it currently scheduled for the 29-03-2010
Originally Posted by fairalbion