Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IM across two different ZCS Servers

To answer the original question,

1) Set up xmpp-server._tcp and xmpp-client._tcp DNS records for both domails. For details, search for "jabber federation dns srv records."

2) For adding buddies, "Zimbra (localhost)" is correct. Enter the full email address. This also works for gmail accounts and any other jabber server with published xmpp srv records.

You'd probably need to take care of #1 and #2 even if the domains were on the same server.

Actually thats not bad news at all. I was just needing some insight to set my course. I was looking for a yes/no/maybe, and now I know the answer is a definitely no, so now I have a direction to work with. True I'm not looking forward to it. Especially since both are in production, and both have an independent IPs and domain, but that's the great thing about linux we can usually make it do whatever me want it to do.

Thanks.
    Robert Canary
    OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    To answer the original question,

1) Set up xmpp-server._tcp and xmpp-client._tcp DNS records for both domails. For details, search for "jabber federation dns srv records."
    Are these Zimbra variables?
    Robert Canary

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Someone else may have a trick I don't know about, but to my knowledge you cannot merge two Zimbra installations like that.

Like I said, export the mailboxes from one server (server "A") import them into the other server, then wipe and rebuild server A as the second server of a proper multiserver install

But first you will need to get both systems to the same version; I suggest 6.0.4.
    So exactly to which installation part are the license applied? If I have multi-servers carrying different domains, would the same license license be good for all installs, except limit the number if users.

Are the license applied towards the LDAP, the MTA ????
    Robert Canary

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rwcanary View Post
    Are these Zimbra variables?
    No, these are DNS records. You should set the following three records with your domain registrar for each domain which requires IM.

_jabber._tcp.<domain> 5 0 5269 <zimbra host>
    _xmpp-client._tcp.<domain> 5 0 5222 <zimbra host>
    _xmpp-server._tcp.<domain> 5 0 5269 <zimbra host>

Suggested wiki: SRV record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    VBNCloud & VBNMail - Administrator
    Zimbra OSS with Full Cloud Files/Gallery Services [Under Dev]

Quote Originally Posted by rwcanary View Post
    So exactly to which installation part are the license applied? If I have multi-servers carrying different domains, would the same license license be good for all installs, except limit the number if users.

Are the license applied towards the LDAP, the MTA ????
    I don't know how Zimbra tracks the licensing internally, but to my understanding a single ZCS license is applied to one LDAP installation, including the master and however many replicas. The license covers the maximum number of mailboxes specified in the license regardless of however many domains and servers you have.

On every Zimbra server in a multi-server install, copies of the same license file will be in /opt/zimbra/conf on every one of the servers.

In a multi-server Zimbra install, there is one LDAP master, and all of the other mailbox servers are LDAP replicas (up to a point).

It is quite common that a site will be running a single Zimbra server, and then outgrow it for whatever reason. That's the point where that single Zimbra server becomes the first server in a multi-server install.

It's easy to do with very little downtime, and if you install the proxy on the first Zimbra server you can put users' mailboxes on any of your additional mailbox servers and the users will still use the URL of the first server to log in.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Hi, I'm kinda experiencing the same problem. I have two mailbox servers, in a multi-server install, they both show up in the admin console. Recently, users from the first server (mb1) can't see contacts in the second server (mb2) (and vice-versa) when they're online, nor can't they send "offline messages".

This is the error I get:

ERROR: <message to="ccruz@elo.com.br/zcs" from="barraes@elo.com.br" type="error"><thread>chat-ccruz%elo.com.br-4</thread><error code="404" type="cancel"><remote-server-not-found xmlns="urn:ietfarams:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></message>

And I get it 3 times on the chat window whenever I try to send a message.
    This never hapennned before, and we kinda have no clue of what might be going on.

Does anyone have any ideas?

You might want to check connectivity between the different instances using ping and telnet. Seems like connectivity issue.
    VBNCloud & VBNMail - Administrator
    Zimbra OSS with Full Cloud Files/Gallery Services [Under Dev]