Thread: Email Setup Question

Default Email Setup Question

All,

Hello. I have a question that I am hoping is trivial to someone on here and will in return allow me to get an answer! I just got done installing the Network Version of Zimbra with no errors or problems on RHEL4. Everything works and I can log in to both the admin console and regular email accounts. However, I am noticing that my email accounts are, for example, admin@mail.example.com. I don't want that. I want the email accounts to match my domain name. So if I own example.com then I want my email accounts to be admin@example.com and not admin@mail.example.com.

So here is my question. How do I do that? We already have a webserver that is serving up example.com, so I can't name my email server example.com? Will I need to set up aliases? So again, I want users to be able to go to the address of http://mail.example.com but I want their email addresses to be admin@example.com. If I must, this is something I can reinstall. We aren't live with Zimbra yet. Thanks in advance!

-Paul

PS - Yes, I did search the forums to the best of my ability.

First, make sure you have an MX record pointing to your correct IP for the domain example.com

Then, go into the Admin UI and create another domain "example.com" and set it as the default domain.

Good luck!
    jh
    PS-Just a little reminder to you and everyone who reads this: Please don't post the same thread in different areas. We like to keep the searches clean.
    I have removed the other post.

Quote Originally Posted by vangundypw
    All,

Hello. I have a question that I am hoping is trivial to someone on here and will in return allow me to get an answer! I just got done installing the Network Version of Zimbra with no errors or problems on RHEL4. Everything works and I can log in to both the admin console and regular email accounts. However, I am noticing that my email accounts are, for example, admin@mail.example.com. I don't want that. I want the email accounts to match my domain name. So if I own example.com then I want my email accounts to be admin@example.com and not admin@mail.example.com.

So here is my question. How do I do that? We already have a webserver that is serving up example.com, so I can't name my email server example.com? Will I need to set up aliases? So again, I want users to be able to go to the address of http://mail.example.com but I want their email addresses to be admin@example.com. If I must, this is something I can reinstall. We aren't live with Zimbra yet. Thanks in advance!

-Paul

PS - Yes, I did search the forums to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by jholder; 07-06-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Smile

the machine can be named anything and can be accessed by any name that resolves to it. you may want to check out these wiki articles:

DNS
    How_the_MTA_routes_mail

if there were already users on the mail.example.com domain, you could move them to example.com like this:

zmprov renameAccount someuser@mail.example.com somebody@example.com

Talking

Thanks for the help and the links. I understand now that I can create a new domain and transfer users to that. The server that this is installed on is our test one, so we aren't live. When we do install it on our production server I can call the server whatever I want.

Here's my question though. If I already have a web server named example.com and I name our email server example.com will that cause any confusionson the Internet? I understand that Zimbra takes the name of the server as it's FQDN for the email server/accounts and if we don't have to create a new domain and transfer accounts I would rather not.

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks again!

-Paul

the machine will need to resolve itself in dns by the hostname. so if there is already an "example.com" out there, that won't work.

when you're installing zcs, the default is to use the hostname for the first mail domain, but the option is there to change it to something else. so the machine could be "zimbra.example.com" but the first (and potentially only) mail domain would be for users@example.com, or even users@someother.domain.com.

am i answering the right question?

I see. So even though my machine might be called mail.example.com I can change the settings during ZCS install to be @example.com. I get it now. Thanks. If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to post.

-Paul