Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra performance...

Default Zimbra performance...

Hi,

We have Zimbra 3.1.4 up and running, despite a few problems here and there on the lan segment all seems ok.

However we have a big problem with our distant sites connected via ADSL... the entire zimbra webmail experience is SLOW : examples, can lag up to 10 seconds to read an email, and up to 15 to get into the calendar.

What we've noticed so far :
    - our adsl lines are not saturated (bandwidth is OK, checked through tcpdump, ethereal, iftop...), main ADSL upload is 700kbps and is never 100 percented.
    - firefox does it only slightly better in terms of performance
    - client cpu (FF or IE) during the lag time is at 100% (while the zimbra server is coping just fine with a .3 max load, generally at .1 !) the systems are XP SP2 2.6Ghz.
    - installing squid helps caching some of the gfx

The zimbra server is
    - Zimbra 3.1.4 / fedora core 4
    - 2Gb RAM
    - 2x 2.8 Ghz Xeon procs
    - Raid 5 sata subsystem
    - Gigabit ethernet switched, not that that would do anything for ADSL )

Thanks for any help/tuning ! if you need any other info I've missed out, no problem.

Sebastian,

I'm also concerned about Zimbra performance, but on the client end. Our server is a 3.0Ghz Dual Core Intel chip with 2GB of RAM and SATA RAID drives. The server load barely jumps at all when people use Zimbra. Sadly though, the client computers crawl along at 100% CPU usage and the user experience is frusteratingly slow. Not good for anyone with anything but the latest hardware, which in a real world will never happen.

*edit* Oh and these are users that are on the local LAN, so it's not network latency.
    Last edited by moniker; 07-12-2006 at 08:19 AM.

I would always use FF as my browser because IE just does not handle AJAX well, and has known memory leaks.

As far as delay: do your clients have anything installed that causes problems?
    I know Norton does a horrible job as antivirus.

I have 300 users, and only 1 T1 line to the main zimbra server.
    I have a "lag" of about 2 seconds (if you want to call it lag)

I have a PIII 800 MHz (1CPU) Dell PowerEdge FC3 server.

If that server can out-perform your machines. . . .then something must be wrong.

what does
    >top
    return on your servers?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabetenor
    I would always use FF as my browser because IE just does not handle AJAX well, and has known memory leaks.

As far as delay: do your clients have anything installed that causes problems?
    I know Norton does a horrible job as antivirus.
    That makes sense. I know the Zimbra page loads some hundreds of objects, and it's possible that AntiVirus software is stopping to scan each one of them as they load, increasing the load time exponentially. I have seen the login page take a long time to load on a customer's computer, and I know they were running Norton Antivirus.

In anwser to the "top" as I said, load average is very low... the occasionnal java or mysql kicks in here and there - that's it - super calm !

I've installed sar & co to see in depth if there is something going but really I it's just to prove that the server is OK (oh, we have 250 users : 100 are webmail users and are moving back en masse to IMAP...).

We've got mrtg analyzing the load... nice and steady, by the way concerning the high load logger "bug", this proved quite useful to detect it.

Most of our clients are AVG 7.0 / 7.1 and we will move to kaspersky in Sep. I might try without the antivirus... but it seems that 100% cpu on a workstation means that something is going on with the Ajax interface ?

There is a bug:
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2084

But I belive it was closed because no one could replicate it.
    A Zimbra Employee can verify this, cause I might be wrong.

I would agree that for me, at times, ajax requests causes high cpu useage, but it's always really quick for me.

I'll let someone know about this thread, and we'll see that they think.

Thanks
    jh

Hmm, that bug states 20min of high cpu. My problem is that every time something is clicked in the webmail, workstation CPU goes 100%, hence lag for a few seconds (but can get worse... up to 15/20 sec).

Quote Originally Posted by moniker
    the client computers crawl along at 100% CPU usage and the user experience is frusteratingly slow.
    What process is taking 100% CPU?

What does the user's profile look like? Number of folders? Number of contacts? Number of messages? Total size of mailbox?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by sperkins
    Thanks for any help/tuning ! if you need any other info I've missed out, no problem.
    Is this the same for all users? If you read a message for a 2nd time for example does it still spike to 100% for more than 1-2 seconds? Assuming Firefox are there any extensions installed?

Another idea to debug is go to Zimbra with ?debug=3 this will popup a debug window and might help determine where the delay/lag is. It will give timings for the server request/respose from the client's point of view.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by sperkins
    Hi,

We have Zimbra 3.1.4 up and running, despite a few problems here and there on the lan segment all seems ok.

However we have a big problem with our distant sites connected via ADSL ... the entire zimbra webmail experience is SLOW : examples, can lag up to 10 seconds to read an email, and up to 15 to get into the calendar.

<snip>

Sebastian,

What's the up and down speed of your line connecting your server to the Internet? Users connecting via VPN? Also, PPPoE is notorious for having MTU issues so, check that out as well on one of the client machines with slowness.

Scotty