I'm planning a 12 user migration from MS SBS 2003 to Zimbra... I cannot wait to get rid of Exchange. And with the release of v6 I've already decided that Zimbra is "the one".
I've got some specific questions about the Zimbra IM and the various access methods available.
I understand that the Zimbra IM server is fully XMPP compliant, meaning I should be able to our server using Pidgin or other XMPP clients (after some searching it seems people have managed to do this successfully).
I'm currently trying to decide whether to use Zimbra's IM server or use something like OpenFire. There doesn't seem to be much in the User Guide about customising Zimbra's IM server, but it is marked as a beta feature so it's to be expected.
1) When users chat using Pidgin or another client rather than through the AJAX interface, are chats saved in the users' "Chats" folder?
Or does that only happen if they use the AJAX interface?
That would be a major benefit of using Zimbra's IM server rather than something like OpenFire so people can access their chat logs through their Zimbra account.
2) Is it possible to disable access to the Zimbra IM server though the AJAX interface and only allow XMPP access using dedicated clients?
3) Is it possible to have everyone on the server automatically added to your XMPP buddy list?
4) Does Zimbra support XMPP over encrypted/SSL connections? In fact I'm not even sure if Pidgin supports that but it would be great to set everyone up so all communications between them and the server are encrypted.
5) Is it be possible to disable Zimbra's IM server but still have all the IM features of the AJAX interface available but connected to a different server, eg: OpenFire?
So basically the Zimbra chat features in the AJAX interface allow you to connect to external XMPP servers? That would save having to install an XMPP client on everyone's machines.
6) Being able to show users presence information through the AJAX interface would be excellent and I realise it can already do that with Zimbra's built-in IM server. But could it do that with an external XMPP server?
I was also looking to try writing a Zimlet which adds a new tab to the AJAX interface to list all our GAL users and their presence status, replacing the Zimbra "chat" if possible. Obviously for companies with many users you would want GAL filtering/search options.
7) Can OpenFire be installed on the same machine as a Zimbra installation, without virtualisation? So installed directly under the same host OS as Zimbra?
I understand that OpenFire is java-based so didn't know if it would conflict with Zimbra.