Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Per user throttle/rate-limit?

Is policyd officially supported for NE customers?
    Bug 8791 – make support for postfix-policyd easier

I don't believe it is. I had to install it manually following the user-submitted wiki article linked in that bug.

I've made a little progress. I can get zimbra to at least connect to policyd now. I believe i've broken away from proper config through.

in postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf, i've changed:

%%contains VAR:zimbraMtaRestriction check_policy_service inet:ipofpolicydserver:10031%%

to
    check_policy_service inet:ipofpolicydserver:10031

EDIT:
    I also had to add:
    smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions = check_policy_service inet:ipoppolicydserver:10031
    to /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf

Which is how its done in vanilla postfix (as i just tested it with vanilla postfx, for troubleshooting).

It connects to policyd now, i just need to figure out my policies. At least its making the conenction however.

So, is it kosher to leave it like this? Or am i going to have issues later?
    Why did the "correct" way of doing it fail?

Thanks!
    Last edited by NathanL; 02-18-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanL View Post
    I've made a little progress. I can get zimbra to at least connect to policyd now. I believe i've broken away from proper config through.

in postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf, i've changed:

%%contains VAR:zimbraMtaRestriction check_policy_service inet:ipofpolicydserver:10031%%

to
    check_policy_service inet:ipofpolicydserver:10031

EDIT:
    I also had to add:
    smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions = check_policy_service inet:ipoppolicydserver:10031
    to /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf

Which is how its done in vanilla postfix (as i just tested it with vanilla postfx, for troubleshooting).

It connects to policyd now, i just need to figure out my policies. At least its making the conenction however.

So, is it kosher to leave it like this? Or am i going to have issues later?
    Why did the "correct" way of doing it fail?

Thanks!
    I'm installing this now for rate limiting (policyD quotas), your problem is that postfix rules are interpreted in order in postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf, so if it matches your other rules it never gets to policyD there.

I think the WIKI is really innapropriate for what people are looking for from policyd, especially in the case of rate limiting.

The entry should be made in a different area specifically as you have found, and postfix advises.

This allows it to check all emails to see if they match the policyd rules, and you can put exceptions for specific IP's into PolicyD's rulesets. Otherwise you have to move the check_policy up front into the postfix_recipient_restrictions, and it's nearly impossible to get it to work appropriately.

Personally I think Zimbra should look at implementing at least the quotas part as standard functionality, and allow it to be set in COS, it should be trivial to implement and is a standard feature in other Enterprise type mail servers which is the playground Zimbra wants to be in.
    Last edited by drwho18; 09-25-2010 at 01:05 PM.