Thread: [SOLVED] Drop connection if subject has ******

Default [SOLVED] Drop connection if subject has ******

How can I end an SMTP transaction as soon as ****** is found in the subject field? Don't get me wrong, these emails do go to Junk, but I don't want them to get that far.

PS: ****** = V1&GRA

i'd be surprised if theres a program that could do this. the subject is just part of the long data stream that the server sends as the 'email'. like heres how a typical smtp session goes when server A is sending a message to server B

1. server A: Hi
    2. server B: Hello
    3. server A: I have a message from spamuser@spammyspam.net (envelope from)
    4. server B: ok
    5. server A: The message is for innocentuser@yourdomain.com (envelope to)
    6. server B: ok give it to me
    7. server A: Date, Time
    From
    To
    Random Header
    Subject
    Body
    DONE!

Now at any point in steps 1 through 6 your server can terminate the connection. Like you'll se mta blocking based on ip blocking or the envelope from which would cause your server to just say like "I don't trust you I don't want your e-mail" but once your server says "give me hte message" its not going to do anything with what it gets until the other server says it's done.

I don't think you can do it in Zimbra, but I think you could do it if you stuck ASSP in front of Zimbra. I'm happy with Zimbra's antispam features, though, so I haven't been tempted to delve into the complexities of using it with ASSP or other antispam proxies.

(About ASSP, do a search in this forum, it's been mentioned once or twice along with similar products.)

Another item that could do this sort of thing is tarproxy, which was, I thought, an absolutely fantastic design, that, alas, the author gave up on.

I remain to this day firmly convinced that if the top 10 commercial ISPs and top 100 corporations put Tarproxy on all of their incoming mail, spam would end... tomorrow.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Interesting.

Out of curiosity I went back to find the name of the other product that got mentioned alongside ASSP. It's Mailscanner. But it doesn't look like it drops connection during SMTP DATA, which is what the original poster is looking for.

If the net result is that the OP does not want them to appear in the Junk folder then create a SA rule that adds a score of 100. This will always hit the kill score and the email will be discarded. There is no reason why Postfix could not be told to handle that as-well; but the simplest method is a SA rule.