Server was running along pretty good and then BOOM.

Since it's been in service a while, my hosts file is fine, MX records, DNS, etc...

Here is one error from mailboxd.out

Zimbra server reserving server socket port=110 bindaddr=null ssl=false
Zimbra server reserving server socket port=995 bindaddr=null ssl=true
Fatal error: exception while binding to ports Unbound server sockets not implemented
Then if I changed the configuration of my system from "zimbra_ssl_enabled = true" to "zimbra_ssl_enabled = false"

I got this error in mailboxd.out

Caused by: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
        at com.zimbra.common.util.DefaultTrustManager.<init>(
        ... 39 more
Unable to initialize SSL:
Looks like a problem with SSL huh?

The problem is either with the java cacerts file or the keystore file for mailboxd. And after a long day re-generating and reloading self-assigned certs, and still never figuring out how to repair/regenerate either of these files, here is my solution.

I set up an Ubuntu box, installed the same version of Zimbra, ran zmlocalconfig -s | grep "mailboxd", wrote down the keystore password for the working system, backed up the cacerts and the mailboxd keystore files, then I copied my bad files to the new working Ubuntu box and saw that it now had the same error.

So then I copied the good files to my dead server, changed the permissions and ownership to what it should be, set my mailboxd keystore password to match my new keystore file, and when I ran zmmailboxdctl start, it came right up and worked like a champ. Rebooted the server, still good, and it's still up now some 14 hours later.

My server is currently running Mac OS 10.5 and the fixer files came from Ubuntu 8.04 (Zcs version 6.05 on each).

One note, you do not have to set up the fixer box any further than a basic install.