Thread: Various Questions

Hybrid View

Red face Various Questions

At the risk of getting lots of "search the forums!" replies (I have), I have a few unanswered questions:

• The architectural overview here is nice, but I want to know how Zimbra stores messages.
      It must correlate to the database, as directories and messages are numbered cryptically (I assume it has server zero, but the other items don't seem to correlate to users as I would expect.
    • How does Zimbra call spamassassin and the like, how would I hook in something else, like a custom filter? It uses postfix, so I suppose this is a postfix question (I know very little about postfix, having experience in procmail, sendmail, and exim).
    • A Zimbra employee told me virus definitions are updated every 2 hours... Is this is with the paid Zimbra subscription? What about for OSS setups? Can we upgrade SpamAssassin directly? Are there any specific hooks we need to know about, like how it is called?
    • How can POP users interact with the Spam training accounts?
    • How are SpamAssassin and DSPAM tied together? (This is apparently not a Zimbra question but rather a amavisd question.)

-Dana
    (Zimbra Email)

* The architectural overview here is nice, but I want to know how Zimbra stores messages.

>> As plain MIME messages on disk.

It must correlate to the database, as directories and messages are numbered cryptically (I assume it has server zero, but the other items don't seem to correlate to users as I would expect.

>> The mapping is in the DB as to where each message lives. All the messages for each user are in a single directory.

* How does Zimbra call spamassassin and the like, how would I hook in something else, like a custom filter? It uses postfix, so I suppose this is a postfix question (I know very little about postfix, having experience in procmail, sendmail, and exim).

>> Amavisd-new

* A Zimbra employee told me virus definitions are updated every 2 hours... Is this is with the paid Zimbra subscription? What about for OSS setups? Can we upgrade SpamAssassin directly? Are there any specific hooks we need to know about, like how it is called?

>> ClamAV updates are free with both versions. You *can* upgrade SA on your own but it's not a supported config. ie If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.

* How can POP users interact with the Spam training accounts?

>> This is not possible today, unless you publish the spam accounts and let users send/copy mail into them.

* How are SpamAssassin and DSPAM tied together? (This is apparently not a Zimbra question but rather a amavisd question.)

>> SA calls DSPAM as an additional test.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.