Thread: Mail went missing.

Hybrid View

Default Mail went missing.

One of my users is having an issue with her mailbox.

She has a folder called "General Old Mail" which has a folder called "People" inside of it. Within the People folder are several folders named after employees here.

Starting today, all may prior to Jan 22 2010 has disappeared from all of the sub-folders of "People".

I have tried searching using a prior to Jan 22 2010 search criteria. This shows mail in all folders but any of General Old Mail >> People sub-folders. I've even checked trash/junk. None of the mail is there, though the size of her mailbox does not seemed to have changed(13.1gb).

Is there any way to find out if the mail is physically gone and perhaps reindex these folders if it is not?

Much obliged to anyone who can help out as this is a lot of her mail.

Little more info... the user now says they accidentally put the folder in the trash at some point this morning. (Funny how they fess up when you break out the logs...)

Would the trash then immediately start purging mail in the trash folder that was older than 30 days old?

I see a huge "Purge" log

2010-02-25 09:48:26,193 INFO [MailboxPurge] [name=wendy@example.com;mid=15;] mailop - Deleting items: 237258,237269,237273,237329,237331,237333,etc,etc, etc.

Is there anyway to recover these items in Community Edition?
    Last edited by juanschwartz; 02-25-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Not very active here today...

Okay, so by searching around, I've learned that the e-mails are GONE GONE GONE. What I need to know now is if the user initiated the purge or if it was "automatic" when they put all that old stuff in the trash.

Does the purge happen automatically? And does it go by receive date or does it go by the date it's in thrash?

yep gone gone gone is correct, you may want to take a look at some of the backup scripts for community edition here

Email retention is set at the CoS level under the advanced tab. the default for trash is 30 days.

it probably goes by the received date.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    yep gone gone gone is correct, you may want to take a look at some of the backup scripts for community edition here

Email retention is set at the CoS level under the advanced tab. the default for trash is 30 days.

it probably goes by the received date.
    Receive date seems right to me too. As for the purge being initiated. It seems like 9:48am would be an odd time for an automated process to run. I think the remaining mails were spared only by the fact that the server started geeking out during the massive purge process(she killed 3.4gb of mail).

I also see no other purged messages around it, aside from this account. Is there a way to check when global-purges run?

Also, is there a mailbox level backup for community? Even thought this person FUBARed their mail, I wouldn't want to restore the whole server.

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov gacf | grep zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval

Would you happen to know how to change zimbraMailPurgeUseChangeDateForTrash to True?

would that be through zmprov?

I was able to set the interval to 1d with "zmprov mcf zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval 1d", but zmprov gacf | grep zimbraMailPurgeUseChangeDateForTrash doesn't show that option in the config.

I also just did zmprov gacf just to see if it was there at all and nope.

Further: Looking through the bug thing... it's pretty clear the default option of "zimbraMailPurgeUseChangeDateForTrash" was set to true to prevent what "supposedly" happened here from occurring. I think she purged it herself, but she maintains that she did not. Any reason that zimbraMailPurgeUseChangeDateForTrash wouldn't show in my config?
    Last edited by juanschwartz; 02-25-2010 at 02:35 PM.