Thread: Use zimbra LDAP for two UNIX servers

Hybrid View

Default Use zimbra LDAP for two UNIX servers

UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki

Using the above guide, is it possible to have two samba shares from two different linux boxes authenticate off of the zimbra ldap?

For example, box 1 is a general fileserver with 4tb of storage space and box 2 is for our production department only and has 16tb of storage. I'd like to give access to the fileserver to everyone, while limiting access to production to the production dept. I read the guide briefly and thought I'd ask before getting to far into it.

Quote Originally Posted by juanschwartz View Post
    UNIX and Windows Accounts in Zimbra LDAP and Zimbra Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki

Using the above guide, is it possible to have two samba shares from two different linux boxes authenticate off of the zimbra ldap?

For example, box 1 is a general fileserver with 4tb of storage space and box 2 is for our production department only and has 16tb of storage. I'd like to give access to the fileserver to everyone, while limiting access to production to the production dept. I read the guide briefly and thought I'd ask before getting to far into it.

Anybody?

As long as both samba shares are in the same workgroup/domain, then yes. We have one of our smaller offices running with a Zimbra domain controller

Quote Originally Posted by Hivos View Post
    As long as both samba shares are in the same workgroup/domain, then yes. We have one of our smaller offices running with a Zimbra domain controller
    Do you mind expanding on that a bit? Do I need to make them the same domain as the ZCS server?

For example... Our mail server is mail.example.com.

Should I make the 2 file servers: filehost.example.com and production.example.com?

You may be confusing hostnames and NetBIOS names (don't blame me, blame Microsoft). Within a samba / windows domain, normally NetBIOS is used for name resolution. A servers' "real" hostname may be something completely different, though this does depend on your smb.conf.

To keep a long story short: use the wiki-page from your topicstart to setup a test-environment with 1 zimbra server and 1 samba server (Primary Domain Controller). After that you can easily add a second Samba server to your domain (Domain Member Server or Backup Domain Controller).

Quote Originally Posted by Hivos View Post
    You may be confusing hostnames and NetBIOS names (don't blame me, blame Microsoft). Within a samba / windows domain, normally NetBIOS is used for name resolution. A servers' "real" hostname may be something completely different, though this does depend on your smb.conf.

To keep a long story short: use the wiki-page from your topicstart to setup a test-environment with 1 zimbra server and 1 samba server (Primary Domain Controller). After that you can easily add a second Samba server to your domain (Domain Member Server or Backup Domain Controller).
    Hivos. I got everything setup and tested. All of my groups and everything work. I will soon be adding Windows PCs to our domain and perhaps using openvpn with its auth-ldap plugin to authenticate zimbra users to our VPN and doing away with our Windows server altogether.

One thing I did notice was that if I put someone in a group and they mounted an SMB share, say //server/production and then I removed them from the group, they could still access and browse the folder. Is this normal behavior? Should it remove their rights immediately?