Thread: [SOLVED] spam rules in salocal.cf.in not working

Default [SOLVED] spam rules in salocal.cf.in not working

We have users who's incoming mail is constantly being marked as spam. I have tried adding both white lists and rules to /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in then I restart via zmamavisdctl restart. The mail is often in the 7-9 range so just changing the value of the tag does not work.

I added the following rules that do not seem to do anything

Code:
    whitelist_from *@domain.com
    #users mail to and from each other still get marked as spam

blacklist_from mytestemail@otherdomain.com
    #I can still send mail in

body username /username/i
    socre username -5
    #this does not lower the socre of mail which the sender knows the users name
    zmcontrol status shows everything running fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Sage

It looks like doing the
    zmamavisdctl restart
    was not enough. After I did a full restart my new rules took.

zmcontrol stop; zmcontrol start

Sage

`zmantispamctl restart` may have done the job without restarting the rest of the services. Worth a look.

Similar situation for me after upgrade to 6.0.5 from 5.0.20 and needing to re-edit the SA rules. Simply running zmamavisdctl stop && zmavisdctl start didn't do the trick. It's what's recommended in the wiki article on improving the antispam system and it did work for me under Franklin.

zmantispamctl restart stops and starts zmmtaconfig and amavisd, but also doesn't have the desired effect under 6.0.5.

zmcontrol stop && zmcontrol start (slightly more "correct" than using a semicolon because it only executes the second command if the first exits successfully) does the trick.

Use "zmmtactl reload"

I had the same problem using "zmamavisdctl restart" and "zmantispamctl restart". They wouldn't reload the salocal.cf file.

I found that salocal.cf is reloaded successfully from salocal.cf.in without restarting all of zimbra by running "/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtaconfig antispam".
    This can also be achieved by running "zmmtactl restart".

Running "zmamavisdctl restart", after salocal.cf has been updated, will restart amavisd so the changes will take effect.

Here's one way of doing all this in one line:
    zmmtactl restart && zmamavisdctl restart
    Last edited by jsnapp; 04-15-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Sorry, I found out more information

Thank you, that will save some time and should be more transparent to end-users. However, I notice that in this post, Rich Graves recommends running postqueue -f after restarting amavisd. I am not sure if this would matter if you run zmmtactl reload, and in any case, the mail should still be delivered eventually (right?).

Yes this is transparent to end users.

I don't think postqueue -f is necessary. All that does is move any email in the deferred queue to the active queue and attempt to deliver it. This would happen on its own given some time since deferred email periodically moves to the active queue until they completely timeout.

The "zmmtactl restart" can be avoided by using "/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtaconfig antispam" which is the command that zmmtactl actually runs to reload the salocal.cf file. You still need to restart amavisd by running "zmamavisdctl restart".

I've updated the Improving_Anti-spam_system since it didn't include the "zmmtactl restart".