Thread: How to change primary address for user

Hybrid View

Default How to change primary address for user

Hello

Would anybody clear one thing?
    Is there any way in ZCS to change default address for user (that substitutes as sender address in all e-mail messages) like we can do it in exchange just clicking the button "Set as primary"?

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums

Would you explain in a little more detail what you are trying to achieve please

Well, in fact I want achieve the working configuration that allows users to send e-mail to recipient with different return addresses which belong to few different domains, meeting 2 conditions:
    1. One of addresses should be set as default return address
    2. User can set return address manually

For example:
    I have three domains: domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com, and I have three email addresses: user1@domain1.com, user2@domain2.com, user1@domain3.com respectively
    I want one recipient see the address user1@domain1.com in the filed "FROM:" in my messages, another recipient must see the address user1@domain2.com and sometimes I want to send messages with address user1@domain3.com in the field "FROM:"
    And by default I want to send messages with address user1@domain1.com in the field "FROM:" without setting it manually.

I'd like to get such flexible configuration

So I'd like to find out how to make available user change his return address and how to set default return address.
    Last edited by vavilen; 03-22-2010 at 06:49 AM.

Nobody answers... Is it impossible to configure in ZCS or too difficult?

If you go into your Account Preferences you are able to create Personas; from what you have said I believe that should answer your question.

Since we support both Zimbra and Exchange...

On an Exchange mailbox you can add SMTP email addresses for which the mailbox can collect mail. Zimbra calls these addresses "aliases".

In the same dialog box in Exchange where you add email addresses, you further can select one of the email addresses as "Primary". Once you do this, Exchange changes the envelope and header for all outbound email from this mailbox to be that of the so selected email address. Essentially, Exchange does not distinguish between Zimbra-like aliases and the Zimbra mailbox name (in email address form). Exchange simply wants to know when it gets an email "To:" an address, to which mailbox should the message be delivered, and when that mailbox user sends an email, to what should Exchange set as the "From:" field.

There is no end user-facing equivalent in Zimbra unless the end user creates Personas, but a Zimbra administrator can make the same change easily by renaming the mailbox account name.

From the commandline:
    Code:
    zmprov ra oldaddress newaddress
    Zimbra also recommends taking a full backup of the mailbox immediately after the rename.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Personas would best solve your problem