Thread: Migration / Upgrade of current Ubuntu based NE 5.0.0

Default Migration / Upgrade of current Ubuntu based NE 5.0.0

After quite a while after our last upgrade (given the horribly painful experience of upgrading the system from 4.5.x to 5.0.0 on Centos we are planning a migration to a new server with SUSE installed. Given it will be a new server, with SLES 11, that means it would be 64bit. Originally I had planned to migrate to a 32bit platform and then following the following procedure:

Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog

But since I'd be migrating to a 64bit platform from what it looks like I need to following this procedure:

Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

The ultimate goal right now is to just get the accounts and configuration moved to the new server, running the same NE 5.0.0 but 64bit. Although since 5.0.0 does not support SLES 11, it would look like I'd need to install SLES 10 64bit version? Once I have the hardware and OS changed, then I plan on finally upgrading the system to the newest release, however I need to get onto this new hardware/OS first.

Any opinions? Should I just go to SLES10 64bit for now? And if so, would the link above about moving from a 32bit to a 64bit version be the correct procedure to follow?

yeah the fact that SLES11 isn't supported in zimbra 5 makes things a pain, but it sounds like you understand the steps well enough.

the moving from 32bit to 64bit server wiki article works well, i used it once doing the same thing. so here is the process i would use, of course this assumes you have hardware laying around

1. migrate your existing 5.x setup from your 32bit install to a 64bit install running the same 5.x version.
    2. Upgrade to zimbra 6 64bit for sles10
    3. Migrate to your permanent home on a sles11 x64 box using the moving zcs to another server article.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    yeah the fact that SLES11 isn't supported in zimbra 5 makes things a pain, but it sounds like you understand the steps well enough.

the moving from 32bit to 64bit server wiki article works well, i used it once doing the same thing. so here is the process i would use, of course this assumes you have hardware laying around

1. migrate your existing 5.x setup from your 32bit install to a 64bit install running the same 5.x version.
    2. Upgrade to zimbra 6 64bit for sles10
    3. Migrate to your permanent home on a sles11 x64 box using the moving zcs to another server article.
    For now once we get it on SLES10, unless we can upgrade the system easily, that is the current server we plan to migrate to one time, we won't be moving it a 3rd one in the near future. I have not used SLES much so I don't know how easily we can perform an upgrade to SLES 10 to 11 on it.

Steps 1 and 2 are pretty straight forward however from the release notes I've been reading it doesn't look like I can upgrade to 6.0.x from 5.0.0? It seems I have to upgrade to 5.0.2 at least first and THEN to 6.0.5? The notes on upgrading in the docs always refer to at least 5.0.2

The advised procedure is to upgrade to the latest 5.0.x (currently 5.0.22 I believe), and from there to the latest 6.0.x. I'm not sure though if it's possible to get from 5.0.0 to 5.0.22 in one step.

There have been quite some issues upgrading older 5.0 releases to 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hivos View Post
    The advised procedure is to upgrade to the latest 5.0.x (currently 5.0.22 I believe), and from there to the latest 6.0.x. I'm not sure though if it's possible to get from 5.0.0 to 5.0.22 in one step.

There have been quite some issues upgrading older 5.0 releases to 6.0
    I have a feeling that when I move to this new platform on Saturday all I'll end up doing is moving to the new OS and server and keeping it at 5.0.0. If I have time (depending on how long it takes to get it running on the new server), I will attempt to upgrade from 5.0.0 to 5.0.22 (i'll read up on the steps needed for that) and probably end up leaving it at that for now although I'd prefer to get it onto 6.

So I attempted the upgrade and it actually all went smooth. 32bit to 64bit went ok, the system came online. While performing the 5.0.0 to 5.0.22 upgrade however I received a kernel panic and since my hosting company didn't get back to me very quickly I've rolled back onto the old platform.

Assuming the kernel panic issue can be resolved, I'll be starting all over again on the migration at some point.

Ok so we finally have the migration completed and are running on RHEL4 64bit and 5.0.0. However one thing I noticed is our spam filters are WAY off, despite me moving the files over for the rules. So I was thinking if we can move the old Bayes DB since it was about 4 years worth of data.

Since the old hostname, ip and versions are the exact same as the new servers can I just move the Bayes DB from the old server to the new and will it just work? Will I need to run sa-learn or anything?

I would just copy the entire /opt/zimbra/amavisd-new-2.5.2/.spamassassin folder from the old server backup to the current live server...
    Last edited by smokey7722; 04-20-2010 at 01:37 PM.