Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Exchange Mail Contact Equivalent?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Exchange Mail Contact Equivalent?

    We have a domain that has a distribution list which contains external contacts - this works as desired. The customer would like to add these external contacts to the GAL. For instance, customer is @abc.com and external contacts are @xyz.com - I can't see how this is possible without adding the domain of xyz.com which would then take up licenses and obviously cause other potential problems.

    Am I missing something here? I know in Exchange you can add Mail Contacts and they can appear in the GAL.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    777
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    You can create a distribution list for each external contact, and have the member of the list be the email address of the external contact. It will then show up in the GAL without using up an account.

    Otherwise you can set up an external LDAP server and setup GAL to sync it..

    I find the former to be easier

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    You can create a distribution list for each external contact, and have the member of the list be the email address of the external contact. It will then show up in the GAL without using up an account.

    Otherwise you can set up an external LDAP server and setup GAL to sync it..

    I find the former to be easier
    That's what I was thinking - but, this is a hosted environment. So, if I do that, these entries will show up to all domains which I don't want to do. Is there a way to do what you say yet hide these entries from all other domains? I don't know how to do that since they won't be an actual domain account.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    This is what the galsync account is for is it not? You can share the address book of the galsync user and have it add entries to the GAL. Research the galsync user and how it works and I think you will find a useful solution (I think)
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave_kempe View Post
    This is what the galsync account is for is it not? You can share the address book of the galsync user and have it add entries to the GAL. Research the galsync user and how it works and I think you will find a useful solution (I think)
    I already have the galsync setup and it works as described for internal to a domain, but doesn't let me protect certain contacts from being seen in other domains. Unless, I suppose, if I use external but I'd like to avoid that for such a simple request.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    1,474
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Ordinarily each domain has its own GAL, does it not? You only share GALs across domains if you set zimbraGalInternalSearchBase to ROOT as described in http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...2-domains.html

    So perhaps you made that modification in the past? If so, perhaps you can undo it and then use galsync to selectively customize what appears in each domain. (I haven't played around with galsync myself.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewilen View Post
    Ordinarily each domain has its own GAL, does it not? You only share GALs across domains if you set zimbraGalInternalSearchBase to ROOT as described in http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...2-domains.html

    So perhaps you made that modification in the past? If so, perhaps you can undo it and then use galsync to selectively customize what appears in each domain. (I haven't played around with galsync myself.)
    I agree, each domain does have its own GAL and no we are not sharing GALs. I guess I'm not understanding how to add distribution lists (which would be these external contacts), and then assign these distribution lists to only show as part of one GAL (i.e. how do I tie a distribution list to a galsync account)?

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Zimbra OSS 6.04 will not start
    By powrrrplay in forum Installation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
  2. Antivirus failing to start in scripted restart
    By dwmtractor in forum Administrators
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 06:37 AM
  4. [SOLVED] Upgraded to 5.0 OSS - Sendmail Problem
    By Chewie71 in forum Installation
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 07:07 PM
  5. Seeming variety of problems on suse-9.1
    By Crexis in forum Installation
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 12:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •