Thread: [SOLVED] 5.0.2 32-bit -> 6.0.6 64-bit - zmmailboxdctl is not running - I've tried

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] 5.0.2 32-bit -> 6.0.6 64-bit - zmmailboxdctl is not running - I've tried

EDIT: I've gotten further since this was posted. You can probably just skip down to post #2 for the current situation. Thanks!

Hi All,

I've been banging my head against this one for about 4 hours now, and figured I'd ask for help.

My goal is to migrate a 5.0.2 32-bit ZCS Open Source Edition instance to 6.0.6 64-bit. I have been largely successful to this point (I believe), and the actual upgrade process went smoothly.

I've read countless threads on this issue, and can't seem to find the one that solves the problem for me. So many threads both on zimbra.com and other places that I can't cite them all here.

The problem is that the ZCS services start without error, but:

zimbra@zimbra01 [~]# zmcontrol status
    Host zimbra01.mail02.codecrunchers.com
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Stopped
    zmmailboxdctl is not running.
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running
    I was getting this error in logs/zmmailboxd.out when it was trying to bind the port for IMAP SSL:

java.net.SocketException: Unbound server sockets not implemented
    I read that's usually associated with a commercial SSL cert, however I am not attempting to use one. I'm good with just self-signed for this machine.

I tried following the directions here ..

Recreating a Self-Signed SSL Certificate in ZCS 4.5 & 5.0 - Zimbra :: Wiki

.. using the 5.0+ commands.

I would always get the error Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect, however now I'm getting additional exceptions after messing with the certs:

zimbra@zimbra01 [~/log]# zmlocalconfig -s -m nokey mailboxd_keystore_password
    T1JWHAMGG6
    zimbra@zimbra01 [~/log]# keytool -delete -alias jetty -keystore /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/etc/keystore -storepass T1JWHAMGG6
    CompilerOracle: exclude com/zimbra/cs/session/SessionMap.putAndPrune
    CompilerOracle: exclude com/zimbra/cs/mailbox/MailItem.delete
    CompilerOracle: exclude org/apache/xerces/impl/XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDisp atcher.dispatch
    keytool error: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
    I believe my solution overall is to just re-deploy a new self-signed cert, but if the keystore is fubar'd then I feel a bit stuck.

I can't find much on this subject specific to 6.0.*, so I've been following 5.0.* directions for the most part.

Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction, please?
    Last edited by ScottRose; 05-06-2010 at 09:46 AM.

While my post was awaiting moderation, I decided to delete and re-create the keystore. That got me farther, but zmmailboxdctl would still not start. The problem seemed to be the empty node in jetty.xml for direct buffers. I set that node's contents to true in the 2 locations which it appeared, and the mailbox service was able to start. Hooray!

However, now mailbox.log reveals these exceptions:

Code:
    2010-05-05 23:27:42,794 INFO  [main] [] im - Setting default XMPP domain to: zimbra01.mail02.codecrunchers.com
    2010-05-05 23:27:43,669 WARN  [main] [] im - Caught service exception getting local component list
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: unable to list all servers
    ExceptionId:main:1273116463660:0271085d7cbedf1c
    Code:service.FAILURE
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:248)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.getAllXMPPComponents(LdapProvisioning.java:5724)
    (Full stack trace omitted)
    Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: [LDAP: error code 32 - No Such Object]; remaining name 'cn=xmppcomponents,cn=zimbra'
    2010-05-05 23:27:43,931 INFO  [main] [] im - Started server (unencrypted) socket on port: 5269
    2010-05-05 23:27:43,937 INFO  [main] [] im - Started component (unencrypted) socket on port: 10015
    2010-05-05 23:27:43,938 INFO  [main] [] im - Started plain (unencrypted) socket on port: 5222
    2010-05-05 23:27:43,939 INFO  [main] [] im - Started SSL (encrypted) socket on port: 5223
    2010-05-05 23:27:44,171 WARN  [main] [] im - Caught ServiceExcepton trying to setup remote Disco handlers
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: unable to list all servers
    ExceptionId:main:1273116464170:0271085d7cbedf1c
    Code:service.FAILURE
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:248)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.getAllXMPPComponents(LdapProvisioning.java:5724)
    (Full stack trace omitted)
    Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: [LDAP: error code 32 - No Such Object]; remaining name 'cn=xmppcomponents,cn=zimbra'
    (I can publish the full stack trace if need be).

The above are warnings, not erorrs, so I'm thinking the services should all start anyhow. And I can't find anything else negative in any of my logs, but there is no listener on ports 4443 or 7071 (both configured in jetty.xml).

I haven't been able to find this issue reproduced in another forum/web page. The best I could find is that the LDAP password might not be correct, so I listed it using zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password zimbra_ldap_password and then set it to that PW using zmldappasswd -r <CORRECT_PASSWORD> and zmldappasswd <CORRECT_PASSWORD>. (All Zimbra passwords are identical when enumerated from config, and I copied/pasted the password to zmldappasswd, double-checking it).

Of course I restarted Zimbra completely between each change.

I'm guessing that I'm missing part of an LDAP entry for xmppcomponents, though there is an entry in zimbra.ldif (complete file follows).

Code:
    dn: cn=zimbra
    objectclass: organizationalRole
    description: Zimbra Systems Application Data
    cn: zimbra

dn: cn=admins,cn=zimbra
    description: admin accounts
    cn: admins

dn: uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra
    uid: zimbra
    objectclass: zimbraAccount
    objectclass: organizationalPerson
    cn: zimbra
    sn: zimbra
    zimbraAccountStatus: active
    zimbraIsAdminAccount: TRUE
    zimbraIsSystemResource: TRUE
    zimbraId: e0fafd89-1360-11d9-8661-000a95d98ef2
    description: The master zimbra admin account
    userPassword: {SSHA}<REDACTED>

dn: uid=zmreplica,cn=admins,cn=zimbra
    uid: zmreplica
    cn: zmreplica
    sn: zmreplica
    zimbraId: D020C0FE-4F5E-11DC-B033-C3A8E67A905E
    description: The zimbra replication account

dn: cn=appaccts,cn=zimbra
    description: application accounts
    cn: appaccts

dn: uid=zmnginx,cn=appaccts,cn=zimbra
    uid: zmnginx
    cn: zmnginx
    sn: zmnginx
    zimbraIsAdminAccount: TRUE
    zimbraId: DA336C18-4F5E-11DC-8514-DCA8E67A905E
    description: The zimbra nginx account

dn: uid=zmpostfix,cn=appaccts,cn=zimbra
    uid: zmpostfix
    cn: zmpostfix
    sn: zmpostfix
    zimbraId: DA336C18-4F5E-11DC-8514-DCA8E67A905E
    description: The zimbra postfix account

dn: uid=zmamavis,cn=appaccts,cn=zimbra
    uid: zmamavis
    cn: zmamavis
    sn: zmamavis
    zimbraId: 12A0779A-88B6-11DC-AA4B-97F9DEB0B34E
    description: The zimbra amavis account

dn: cn=zimlets,cn=zimbra
    cn: zimlets
    description: for storing Zimlet configuration

dn: cn=cos,cn=zimbra
    cn: cos

dn: cn=servers,cn=zimbra
    cn: servers

dn: cn=xmppcomponents,cn=zimbra
    cn: xmppcomponents

dn: cn=globalgrant,cn=zimbra
    objectclass: zimbraAclTarget
    description: acl target for global grants
    cn: globalgrant
    I'm not even sure if that's relevant here -- my experience with LDAP in general is just about nil.

With services started, netstat shows:

Code:
    zimbra@zimbra01 [~]# netstat -nlp |more
    (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
     will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
    Active Internet connections (only servers)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 10.1.1.41:389               0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10663             0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      31000/zmlogger: zmr
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10024             0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      1389/amavisd (maste
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10025             0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:7306              0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      31096/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:587                 0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:971                 0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3310                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      1527/clamd
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111                 0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:465                 0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 10.1.1.41:53                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25                  0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:953               0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::7072                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::7777                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::7780                     :::*                        LISTEN      1550/httpd
    tcp        0      0 :::5222                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::5223                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::7335                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::110                      :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::143                      :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::7025                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::5269                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::53                       :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::22                       :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 ::1:953                     :::*                        LISTEN      -
    tcp        0      0 :::10015                    :::*                        LISTEN      -
    (UDP and UNIX socks omitted)
    Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ScottRose; 05-06-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Punctuation.

Sorry to keep pushing this forward by myself. For some reason a reboot did it (even though I hadn't changed anything outside /opt/zimbra since the previous boot -- or maybe I just don't remember). I'm now able to access the admin tool and the mail web client. All existing email is accessible.

However, upon trying to send a message, I get this error:

Code:
    method:	SendMsgRequest
    msg:	system failure: Unable to send message
    code:	service.FAILURE
    detail:	soap:Receiver
    trace:	btpool0-8:1273162686342:30a246bb9f5e8aa1
    request:	

Body: {
    (Full message omitted)
    Likewise, in the admin tool if I click on certain options I get SOAP errors.

E.g., selecting the server from "Configuration -> Servers" on the left nav bar, or selecting "Monitoring -> Server Statistics" results in this:
    Code:
    Server error encountered Message: system failure: exception during auth {RemoteManager: zimbra01.mail02.codecrunchers.com->zimbra@zimbra01.mail02.codecrunchers.com:22} Error code: service.FAILURE Details:soap:Receiver
    Is this still an LDAP issue??

<offtopic>Mods: I can't help but notice that my first post in this thread was deleted.

I appreciate your desire to run a tight ship, but if I violated the ToS, duplicated a previous post, or otherwise did something wrong I'd like to know about it and not just have my posts disappear.

Also, I know I've been replying to myself here, but the notion is such that someone else could follow what I'm doing, either to resolution of their own problem or to the point of finding where in my efforts I've made a mistake.

Please feel free to delete this particular post -- I wasn't sure where and to whom I should address my concerns.

What process did you actually use for the migration? From 5.0.2 32-bit to 6.0.6 64-bit you would need to do a couple of interim upgrades I believe. Something like...
    5.0.2 32-bit --> 5.0.23 32-bit --> 6.0.6 32-bit --> 6.0.6 64-bit.

I just went through a 32-bit to 64-bit migration on 6.0.6. I essentially followed the wiki document Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki. For the most part it was a pretty smooth process, except the document fails to address self-signed certificates. I ran into the same problem as you are seeing with 'zmmailboxdctl' not running.