Thread: How to enable name.surname aliases without @domain part?

Default How to enable name.surname aliases without @domain part?

Hello,

I migrated a mid-size company from Exchange server to Zimbra Open Source edition and it seems it quite faster and much better handles mailboxes over 2 GB in size (actually, some of users have mailboxes over 10 GB in size, architects, lots of pictures)

But I have problems with most of users when sending mail inside their domain. Outlook remembered previous e-mail addesses as:

John Smith <john.smith>

and it worked inside Exchange since that was their username.

But in Zimbra it does not.
    Since there are over 50 users, it would be pain in the ass to walk around all users and remove wrong AutoSuggest entries for each of them.

What I need to do on Zimbra server to enable aliases without @domain.com part?

From a philosophical point of view - you could argue that an upgrade to Zimbra from Exchange is also a step towards agreed upon standards. And that Outlook should never have supported that anyway.

But of course, some users will be seriously upset about the severe downtime due to the extra keystrokes they need to make. Maybe hack together something that edits the local outlook nk2 file.

Since you say you might have to walk around to people's machines, I'm guessing you're not on a domain. You could look at it as a chance to either setup a domain, or if you stick with a workgroup, set things up so you can remotely shell into boxes like with psexec (it's free). Then you can remotely do whatever (enable remote desktop; install software, etc).

Or just do it manually and walk around - you could queue up whatever else you have to do while you're there. 50 people really isn't that much if it's in the same building - don't you get along with your co-workers? It would also serve as a good reminder how much you hate walking around and inspire you to setup remote access to those boxes.

Users are in local domain, so it might be a good idea to remotelly edit Outlook NK2 files on all computers, but still it is lots of work to do. I just thought it would be easier that Zimbra had a checkbox like "Consider recipients without @domain part as members of sender's domain"

But on the other hand - Outlook uses SMTP for sending, so it must know destination before mail reaches Zimbra, which means Outlook should have above mentioned checkbox. And this makes my question non relevant to Zimbra.